DescriptionThe University of Illinois Urbana Champaign seeks an innovative and knowledgeable professional to serve in the position of E-Serials Bibliographic Control Specialist. This is an academic professional position for an entry level librarian with the requisite skills or course work or for a non-MLS professional with appropriate experience and skills. This position is largely responsible for developing and implementing library’s e-serials bibliographic control policy and practice. Under the direction of the Head of Content and Access Management, s(he) is to work to establish efficient work procedures and maintain high standards of both quality and production of bibliographic control for the Library's large collection of serials. The E-Serials Bibliographic Control Specialist will work in the Content Access Management unit within the Technical Services Division. The position will work in a team environment with those Division faculty and staff responsible for the cataloging and management of e-serials and maintenance of serials in all formats.
The E-Serials Bibliographic Control Specialist responsibilities:
- Establish and help implement e-serials bibliographic control best practices and workflows in conjunction with Acquisitions ordering staff and the E-Resources Librarian
- Will supervise the day-to-day workflow of the Serials Cataloging unit (3 senior library specialist and 1 library specialist), including original cataloging, complex copy cataloging, and serials maintenance work
- Coordinate workflows for serials cataloging within Content Access Management and assist Acquisitions in establishing best practices for binding updates, maintenance of serial pattern records, and serials ordering statuses
- Train staff in all aspects of e-serials cataloging, including the development of documentation meeting national cataloging standards
- Perform bibliographic control duties including adding, updating, and correcting bibliographic and holding records for electronic and print serials
- Work with staff outside Content Access Management to routinely and consistently update print serial holdings for currently received serials as well as for retrospective maintenance projects
- Coordinate work on maintaining links for A&I databases and serial titles that cannot be added to the link resolver and the E-Serial A to Z list, in consultation with the E-Resources Librarian and the Electronic Resources and Acquisitions Support Specialist
- Create original bibliographic records for newly acquired serials
- Participate and lead in meetings involving discussion of bibliographic control matters for serials, including policy workflow and special projects
- Help investigate additional solutions for bibliographic control of e-serials including using vendor records, ONYX feeds, and the MARCIt service
This position may participate in research activity regarding issues in bibliographic control in digital library environments and the impact of implementing emerging cataloging standards in user services and discovery services.
As the information landscape is changing, this position may be asked to cover additional and evolving services or functions related to enhancing the discovery and delivery of library content.
Environment: The University of Illinois Library at Urbana-Champaign is one of the preeminent research libraries in the world. With more than 13 million volumes and significant digital resources, it ranks second in size among academic research libraries in the United States and first among public university libraries in the world. As the intellectual heart of the campus, the Library is committed to maintaining the strongest possible collections and services and engaging in research and development activities in pursuit of the University’s mission of teaching, scholarship, and public service. The Library currently employs approximately 90 faculty and 300 academic professionals, staff, and graduate assistants. For more detailed information, please visit
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:42 UTC