DescriptionThe Technical Department of The Metropolitan Opera oversees all technical details related to the creation and construction, documentation, maintenance and operation of New Productions, Touring Productions, Presentations, and Special Events. The Technical Archivist is an essential part of this process through direct support of the Technical Director and Associate and Assistant Technical Directors and the Technical Project Managers.
Take photographs to document the production process; this includes model, technical, lighting, costume, property, assembly, construction rehearsal and performance images.
- Work with other departments to schedule photo shoots.
- Transfer and manage digital files as well as print and distribute photographs.
- Manage the Technical Department’s digital production archive, including the costume sketch digital archive.
- Collaborate with the Associate Technical Director in setting policy determining archive and preservation practices.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive database for tracking production information and resources. Train end users in accessing and adding records.
- Oversee preservation of analog archives, including transfer to digital archives.
- Scan sketches, copy, print, and communicate with the Costume Department.
- Provide research photographs as required for new productions.
- Administer the scenic model storage database, and coordinate shipping and storage with the Archives Department.
- Provide photos and documents from the Technical Department Archives.
- Provide photographic materials for the Technical Department presentations, Playbill, Opera News, and other media outlets as requested.
- Format digital media for distribution to various end users.
- Deal with vendors for processing, equipment, and supplies.
- Track photo budget.
- Remain abreast of software enhancements and upgrades to remain current with digital imaging and archive technology.
- Maintain camera equipment, printer and computer equipment.
- BA degree or equivalent.
- Photography experience is required; performance/theatrical photography experience is a plus.
- Computer Literacy required, preferably in both Apple and Microsoft Operating Systems. Experience with MS Office and Adobe Professional products is required.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with a wide range of digital imaging and digital presentation software (including Adobe Photoshop, MS PowerPoint, Apple Keynote) is required.
- Experience with database software, including MS Access, and MediaWiki. Other database experience is helpful.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and written skills required.
- Ability to set up and carry camera equipment, including tripods, laptops, etc.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a constantly changing work environment.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC