DescriptionUWM Libraries seeks an energetic, knowledgeable, and technologically capable individual to serve as a Digital Collections Application Specialist. This position supports resource and tool development in the Library’s Department of Digital Collections and Initiatives. The department has been building digital collections drawn from the Library’s unique collections in Archives, Special Collections and the American Geographical Society Library since 2001. Going forward, the department will be developing tools and exploring new modes of discovery and interactivity, such as geographic discovery, contextual materials, and social tools, and working closely with campus initiatives in digital scholarship, including the digital humanities.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Duties include designing and developing digital exhibits, data visualizations, and integrating those tools and resources with existing digital collections; interacting with faculty and staff to gather requirements for tool and digital collection development; working with Library Systems staff and campus IT to resolve technical issues; and supervising student workers in the Department of Digital Collections and Initiatives. This position reports to the head of the Department of Digital Collections and Initiatives.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
• Develop and customize tools, including open source tools, for use with UWM Digital Collections
• Work with faculty and staff to gather requirements for tool and web development projects
• Work with CONTENTdm API to integrate custom tools into existing collections
• Evaluate existing tools and technologies, and investigate emerging technologies to identify potential uses. Prototype demonstration projects
• Help identify technical requirements and keep abreast of new research and development in digital humanities and other areas related to digital collections
• Document workflows and procedures, and help form policy for digital tool development
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree
• Evidence of relevant experience working with digital tool and application development
• Demonstrated understanding of developments and trends in digital collections and digital humanities
• Demonstrated ability to articulate design and development concepts and to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients
• Master’s degree in Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science or related field
• 1+ years of web and/or application development experience
• Demonstrated proficiency with web development
• Knowledge of systems and network security issues and trends
• Experience working in a LINUX environment, specifically with LAMP services
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must submit a letter of application, a current resume, and names/addresses of three current professional references. Please address the required and preferred qualifications in your materials.
In instances where the Search and Screen Committee is unable to ascertain from the candidates’ application materials whether he/she meets any of the qualifications, they will be evaluated as not meeting such qualifications. Candidates chosen for an interview will be required to submit official college transcripts
Apply at – http://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/19943
Review of applications will begin October 8, 2014 and continue until the position is filled. Applications received after October 7, 2014 might not receive consideration.
Questions may be addressed to Craig Wesley, 414-229-6201 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment will require a criminal background check. For the UWM Campus Security Report see http://www.cleryact.uwm.edu
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC