DescriptionThis position is an opportunity for a one-year term contract position, with potential for renewal, with the Ontario Council of University Libraries
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin after August 4, 2014 and continue until August 29th
The Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL) seeks a knowledgeable, energetic and confident individual to fill a critical role helping OCUL explore next-generation library resource management systems.
The Collaborative Futures Project advances the OCUL vision of the future of Ontario’s university libraries through an in-depth investigation into the opportunities of a shared next-generation library resource management system. The solution will include a central knowledgebase enabling distributed workflows with collaborative collection development and management. As a result, libraries across OCUL will realize increased efficiency, reduced duplication of effort, as well as enhanced collective capacity to create and steward rich research collections (print, electronic, data, and digital) while improving discovery and access for scholars.
The successful candidate will have a combination of experience with integrated library systems, electronic resource management, financial analysis skills and exceptional communication skills.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the OCUL Collaborative Futures Project Manager will be responsible for the initial stages of what is envisioned as a multi-stage project. The project manager will work with member libraries and Scholars Portal (SP) staff to
* Articulate the OCUL vision and strategy for the collaborative print and digital resource management
* Conduct further analysis of total cost of ownership data
* Investigate and assess resource allocation and cost-share models
* Facilitate the evaluation of next-generation library resource management systems and determine the best model for infrastructure and collaborative stewardship.
* Work with staff to ensure that members are provided with accurate information about the project on an on-going basis
OCUL is a consortium of Ontario’s 21 university libraries. Our strength lies in our commitment to work together to maximize our collective expertise and resources. We enhance information services in Ontario and beyond through collective purchasing and shared digital information infrastructure, collaborative planning, advocacy, assessment, research, partnerships, communications, and professional development.
Our Mission is to collaborate in the development and delivery of enhanced, innovative, and effective information services and resources for Ontario's universities. Our Vision is to be a recognized leader, provincially, nationally and globally, in the transformative development and delivery of scholarly resources and innovative services.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop a funding proposal in support of a feasibility study to analyze and assess the opportunities for a shared unified resource management (URM) system
• Develop and test a model for a total cost of ownership formula for collecting details on current investment in existing local library management systems
• Engage with library directors and other staff to gather relevant data on costs related to current local library management systems-related along with current state of existing systems
• Maintain a broad and evolving understanding of URM and ERM developments as well as related shared cost and service models
• Develop and support applicable communications representing the ongoing work on the Collaborative Futures project
Qualifications and experience
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program or Master’s degree in computer science
• Five (5) to eight (8) years of relevant professional experience, with at least three (3) years related to library management systems or electronic resource management
• Experience with library standards such as MARC, Z39.50, link resolvers
• Knowledge of academic libraries and their users and a well-developed understanding of library consortia
• Project management experience with the ability to successfully develop and manage projects from inception to completion, including issues that arise and potential risks
• Highly skilled in working with a range of stakeholders from multiple institutions distributed across a broad geographic area
• Budget and financial experience particularly where shared costing models have been involved
• Experience in development of and/or contributing to funding proposals
• Exceptional communication skills including written, oral and presentation
• Willingness to travel in Ontario as required.
• Experience in development of provincial funding proposals
• Specific experience with one or more of the current key vendors of ILS/ERM solutions: such as Ex Libris, Kuali OLE, OCLC, SirsiDynix
Term and Start date: This is a full-time one-year term contract position, with potential for renewal, to begin as soon as possible.
Location: The OCUL office is located at Robarts Library, University of Toronto, St. George St. campus. The Project Manager will need to meet regularly with the OCUL Executive Director and OCUL staff. In addition, there will be frequent consultations and meetings with OCUL Directors and staff in our member institutions. Virtual meetings are common practice in OCUL. Periodic face-to-face meetings will also be required.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A letter of application with a current curriculum vitae should be sent to: email@example.com (quoting “OCUL CF Project Manager” in the subject line).
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 20:44 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC