DescriptionPueblo City County Library District has created a new opportunity for a Librarian Archivist to manage its archival collections in a way that creates optimal value for the library and its customers. The position is responsible for assessing, acquiring, organizing, preserving, maintaining, and providing access to the archival collections in textual, photographic, audio/visual, and digital formats. This position is responsible for the development of the digital collection and will manage the digitization project to include building partnerships with outside agencies and businesses with historical collections of interest. The focus of the work is to positively impact library visits, program attendance and digital use.
The Librarian Archivist reports to the Manager of Special Collections and Museum Services. This position works as a contributing team member of the department, and may lead the work of volunteers and staff on archival or digitization projects. This position represents the Library as a courteous and knowledgeable professional working with outside funding organizations, government agencies and local businesses. Provides excellent customer service demonstrating the ability to communicate effectively with people regardless of age, race, sexual orientation, ability level or background.
About the Position:
- Recommends priorities, policies, and procedures for the identification, creation, conversion and preservation of digital content.
- Maintains the digital content systems for archival digital collections and the institutional repository.
- Manages project workflows for digital collections.
- Identifies and engages the resources (hardware, software, vendors, peer institutions) available to create and maintain digital material and collections.
- Creates metadata for digital material and collections in the Archives, institutional records, and image collection.
- Assists with processing archival and manuscript collections.
- Participates in grant proposal writing process and budget planning as it relates to the archives and digital collections.
- Trains others in the creation or preservation of digital resources and the use of the library's digital system(s).
- Develops usability studies related to digital collections and access.
- Assists groups and individuals in accessing, locating, and obtaining the use of items in the archives and digital collections.
- Collaborates with Library and IT to ensure technology needs are met.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of archival preservation in handling, arranging and describing archival materials with attention to detail.
- Consistently follows procedures to abide by copy right laws; explains library policies and procedures for archival materials to customers.
- Collaborates with team members to support the Special Collections Desk, InfoZone Museum and Information and Non-Profit Resource Center. Works with the team in performing research and developing exhibits that highlight PCCLD Special Collections.
- Provides direct customer service for the Special Collections department, assists customers and provides information, explains library regulations and procedures and resolves basic customer issues.
- Instructs customers on use of library’s computers, devices and e-resources including databases and down loadables. Stays current on use of new library technology resources.
- Supports team efforts to maintain a safe and secure environment for customers and staff by maintaining awareness of surroundings and working in accordance with safety policies and procedures.
- Participates in regularly scheduled department meetings. Attends All Staff Development Days and other training sessions to acquire new skills and to stay current on all information that is pertinent to PCCLD.
- Reads daily organizational communications from intranet, e-mail, newsletters and print announcements. Stays current on all library services, programs and events throughout the district. Regularly accesses electronic time keeping, payroll and personnel employee access systems.
Do you meet these qualifications?
Education and Experience: A Master’s Degree in Library Science from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association with archival coursework is required. Minimum one year related experience in libraries, archives, digitization or museum collections environment managing digital collection projects and workflows, with a working knowledge of digital archive systems and automation.techniques is required.
Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated knowledge of digital library/archives metadata standards and technologies are required. Experience with digital preservation strategies, preservation technologies and standards. Strong preference will be given to applicants with 2 or more years of experience using ContentDM, and demonstrated knowledge of FOXML or METS, PREMIS, MODS, VRA, Dublin Core, EAD, and DACS and other relevant technologies. Demonstrated proficiency in the tools and technologies related to digital image collections, including flatbed scanning computer monitors, FTP sites, digital cameras and digital imaging software. Knowledge of current archival and museum practices with regards to digital asset management, workflow, and the maintenance and development of digital image collections. Must have excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate well with people of all ages, demographics, ethnic backgrounds and ability levels. Knowledgeable on a variety of topics; skilled in using standard research methods. Must use independent judgment within procedural boundaries and possess good problem solving skills. Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team member. Must possess strong computer skills with the ability to use a variety of electronic and digital devices and e-resources; possesses a keen interest in using and learning new technologies. Ability to function under flexible and changing conditions.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds and push/pull a fully loaded book cart weighing up to 200 pounds.
Other Requirements: Must be able to work a flexible schedule including days, evenings and weekends. Must submit to and successfully pass a criminal background investigation.
How to apply
Published: Friday, July 25, 2014 18:55 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC