The Daniel Library at The Citadel invites collaborative, service-focused applicants for the position of Science Librarian. This position will involve course related library instruction and liaison responsibilities with the faculty in the School of Engineering and the School of Science and Mathematics. The successful candidate will participate in library-wide projects and activities, develop research guides and online tools, serve on library and campus committees, and promote information literacy initiatives.
Liaison librarians cultivate partnerships with faculty to develop and deliver instructional and collection development services to support the college’s research and teaching initiatives. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to work in a complex, changing environment with a resourceful, flexible, and innovative attitude, and he or she will have a proven capacity to work effectively and collegially in teams with staff at all levels as well as with faculty and students. Tenure and promotion are dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, scholarship, and service to the college and community.
• Serve as the liaison to the School of Engineering, which includes three departments: Civil and Environmental Engineering; Electrical and Computer Engineering; and, Engineering Leadership and Project Management, and to the School of Science and Mathematics which includes five departments: Biology; Chemistry; Health, Exercise and Sport Science; Mathematics and Computer Science; and, Physics.
• Collaborate with the Education Liaison Librarian in outreach support for the Citadel STEM Center for Excellence.
• Proactively seek partnerships with faculty and students in the School of Engineering and the School of Science and Mathematics to develop, deliver, and assess information literacy and other library based initiatives.
• Maintain existing online research guides and develop new innovative online research tools for science, engineering, math and related disciplines.
• Provide general and subject-specific reference and research assistance through individual consultations at the Research and Information Desk, through virtual reference services, and during library instruction session.
• As a member of the Instruction team, and under the direction of the Instruction Coordinator, the Science Librarian will also contribute to the development and teaching of the freshmen orientation course (Citadel 101) library sessions.
• Create value-added services, resources, and programs to liaison departments and users.
• Serve as occasional back-up to the Systems Librarian. Training will be provided for this responsibility.
• An ALA-accredited Master's Degree in Library/Information Science
• Minimum of 1 years of library experience in any science, mathematics, or engineering area providing reference, information literacy, consultation, or liaison services.
• An understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in any science, mathematics, or engineering discipline.
• Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in science librarianship.
• Strong computing, communication, interpersonal, written, and presentation skills.
• Enthusiasm for collaboration and ability to work effectively in a collegial team-based environment.
• Initiative and innovative problem-solving skills.
Preference will be given to candidates with these preferred qualifications:
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a science, mathematics or engineering, discipline.
• Administrative experience with any of the following technologies: ILLiad, EDS, EZProxy, Millennium, or ContentDM.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time tenure track, twelve month position reporting to the Library Director. Starting academic rank is Assistant Professor. Position features a competitive salary, generous health, dental, and life insurance options, 15 annual leave days and 15 sick leave days per year.
The Citadel is located in beautiful Charleston, SC – voted #1 City in the U.S. by Travel + Leisure and Condé Nast Traveler three years in a row.
The Citadel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer actively committed to ensuring diversity in all campus employment.
Please visit: http://bit.do/citadel_science_librarian. To be considered, a separate resume and cover letter must be submitted with the application.
How to apply
Published: Monday, July 21, 2014 13:48 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC