Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The Yale Center for British Art was established by Paul Mellon (Yale College, 1929) to inspire the appreciation, understanding, and enjoyment of British art and life. The Center holds the largest collection of British art outside the United Kingdom.
Reporting to the Deputy Director for Finance and Administration, the Head of the Yale Center for British Art Information Technology is responsible for the efficient management of technology to support all aspects of the Center’s operations, as well as its activities related to collections, research and education. This position is responsible for setting goals and overseeing project priorities in consultation with senior staff, managing IT staff and budget, and maintaining relationships with providers of shared Yale technical infrastructure.
The essential duties for this position are as follows: Establish policies, practices, systems and procedures in the YCBA IT Department and manage a team responsible for their implementation. Lead IT programming, as well as act as technical liaison to outside vendors and to campus organizations and committees. Lead or participate in the development and management of projects, frequently with cross-departmental project teams. Provide for the Center’s programming and system administration needs. Manage operational computing to the most efficient and least expensive solution that supports the Center’s ambition. Seek innovation in cultural heritage research computing. Develop strategies for forward migration of systems and data. Oversee a schedule of timely upgrades of computers that fit staff needs and provide mobile solutions. Provide for a high level on on-going technical training for staff. Maintain a flexible, small-footprint infrastructure to support the research and communication needs of staff and visiting scholars, including multimedia presentation, capture and dissemination; collaborative working environments. Encourage and support staff development. Represent the YCBA on campus committees, in professional associations, and in the communities of higher education, museums, libraries and archives.
This position manages three direct reports, two staff providing desktop support and one System Administrator for TMS (the Museum System). The staff of the following departments, Collections Information and Access, Library and Archive, Public Relations and Imagine Services will be key internal contacts to the Head of IT.
* Bachelor's Degree in relevant technical field. Five years of related technical experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Expertise providing technical IT services in a museum, research and or academic environment.
* Embraces innovation and pro-active in seeking out and implementing new technology systems to Center needs.
* Demonstrated strong understanding of technical design principles and ability to execute to those principles.
* Proven ability to clearly communicate complex technical solutions to non-technical stakeholders.
* Knowledge of and hands-on experience with software development.
* Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills. Proven strong organizational and planning skills with ability to work independently and as a member of a team. Proven superior interpersonal and collaborative skills.
* Preferred: Advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Science or Computer Information Systems. Experience with and understanding of data exchange systems and web services. Project management, ability to manage timelines and resource allocation for successful project completions. Broad knowledge of contemporary web development frameworks, information architecture. Experience with RDF triplestores.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.Yale.edu/jobs - the STARS req ID for this position is 25479BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC