DescriptionDigital Access and Systems Librarian (Business Applications Administrator)
The Getty Research Institute (GRI) seeks a highly skilled, creative, and agile person to provide technical leadership and support for the core library and discovery/access systems. Reporting to the Head of Information Systems and working collaboratively with departments across the Research Institute, the Digital Access and Systems Librarian is the technical point person for GRI’s cloud based library management system – Alma, and integration and interoperability with our Primo discovery/access application. Responsibilities will center on data, platform, and workflow integration and interoperability, metadata extraction, transformation, and reuse, analytics and reporting, search strategies and services, and problem diagnosis and resolution. The position is the key component linking the content driven departments and workflows with technical implementations and process oriented automated workflows. The position also works closely with digital project and repository staff, application administrators, and software engineers.
• Lead Alma technical development and support working with GRI Library and Information Systems staff, Ex Libris, and other external vendors.
• Implement internal Alma scripting language, SDK, and web services for process automation and data enhancement integrations, as well as data ingest and merging and data extraction and reuse by external systems.
• Co-lead Primo development and enhancement work; analyze and hone current data sources and normalization rules and add new data sources (EAD, Provenance data, etc.)
• Develop and implement strategy to expose Primo repository to external search engines (Google, et al).
• Implement Primo web and X-services for external search service integrations, metadata harvesting and reuse, and user interface redesign and development.
• Determine strategies for integration of thesauri and linked open data in search applications such as Primo and the Getty Research Portal.
• Monitor and track advancements in the field; research, recommend, and establish new technical strategies and standards.
• Collaborate with key GRI department heads in determining discovery/access strengths and weaknesses, and the technical requirements, milestones, testing methodologies and success factors in this iterative process.
• Collaborate with Museum and Getty Trust development and infrastructure staff.
• MLS/MLIS degree or equivalent
• 5+ years experience managing/supporting integrated library systems and search applications.
• Thorough knowledge of current and emerging library technologies, standards, workflows, and best practices.
• Demonstrated knowledge of descriptive, administrative, and technical metadata formats and standards.
• Knowledge of web development tools and best practices.
• Strong project management skills, especially the ability to deliver projects on-time; ability to multitask and prioritize; ability to identify, analyze, and solve problems.
• Excellent oral and written communication and customer relations skills and the ability to explain complex technical issues and processes to non-technical audiences.
• Knowledge of intellectual property rights and open access policies and trends.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 14:28 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC