Head, Kelley Ctr for Government Information, Data & Geospatial Services
Created: June 13, 2014
Rice University Houston1 other recent jobs
DescriptionRice University’s Fondren Library seeks creative, dynamic candidates for the Head of the Kelley Center for Government Information, Data and Geospatial Services. This position presents an opportunity for a highly motivated leader to guide a government information department with a history of innovation in digital information and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and a new emphasis on data services. The successful candidate will combine expertise in government information and data with a compelling vision for the future of library services. Candidates should possess a record of excellence in management, a history of collaboration within and beyond the library, strong technical and communication skills, and considerable experience leading successful outreach programs. The position reports to the Executive Director of Digital Scholarship Services.
Responsibilities: The head of the Kelley Center for Government Information, Data and Geospatial Services develops and implements a vision for providing cutting-edge, user-centered services focused on government information, data, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS). In consultation with stakeholders, the incumbent oversees planning and strategic development for the Kelley Center in support of the goals of the Fondren Library and Rice University. He or she actively conducts outreach and ensures the effective provision of research and user services, particularly in areas demanding resources and expertise in government information, data and GIS. The head of the Kelley Center plans, coordinates and manages the work of six to seven staff members. In addition, he or she contributes to day-to-day operations and services of the department, including providing consultations, research support and training in data and government information.
Required Qualifications include:
- ALA-accredited Master's in Library and Information Science, or other closely related field; may substitute an advanced degree (master's or PhD) and an additional year of experience at a library or research data center, above and beyond the requirement, for the MLS degree;
- four years experience providing training, consultation and outreach services for data and/or government information at a library or research data center, of which two years must be supervisory;
- demonstrated experience developing and delivering innovative public services focused on government information and/or data;
- demonstrated ability to manage and lead people, processes and projects;
- flexibility and creativity in solving problems;
- demonstrated knowledge of issues, technologies, and best practices related to the identification, use, management and preservation of research datasets;
- academic experience with statistical software such as R, SAS or SPSS and with numeric datasets such as Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) datasets and census data
Salary & benefits: $68,000 minimum, with hiring salary commensurate with experience and qualifications; no state or local income tax; 21 benefit days; a range of retirement options including TIAA/CREF; health and life insurance and tuition waiver.
Environment: Rice University provides a stimulating work environment, with opportunities to participate in the delivery of innovative library services supported by leading edge technologies. Fondren Library (http://www.rice.edu/fondren) is a research library with more than 2.8 million volumes and more than 141,000 subscriptions, including titles available through aggregators. The Library has a state-of-the-art off-site shelving facility. An active program of digital resource delivery and development is grounded in successful collaboration among library and University staff from Digital Scholarship Services, other library departments and University information technology staff.
Houston is a vibrant, multicultural city, with world-class visual and performing arts ranging from the traditional to the avant-garde. The fourth largest city in the country, Houston enjoys a moderate cost of living and easy proximity to the Gulf Coast. For more information, see: http://www.explore.rice.edu/explore/General_Information.asp.
Applications received by July 28, 2014 will receive first consideration. Please apply with cover letter, resumé, and the names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references at: https://jobs.rice.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=54300. Inquiries: Melinda Reagor Flannery at (713) 348-3773 or email@example.com. Rice University is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC
How to apply
Published: Friday, June 13, 2014 13:29 UTC