Business Data Services Librarian
Created: June 15, 2014
Georgia State University Atlanta0 other recent jobs
DescriptionGeorgia State University Library seeks a collegial, innovative, and dynamic Business Data Services Librarian to provide research support for business research and data services, as well as innovative outreach and instruction to students and faculty in the J. Mack Robinson College of Business. With a primary focus on the faculty and students of the Robinson College of Business, this position will also engage with students and faculty in an exciting new library facility, CURVE (Collaborative University Research & Visualization Environment), and through consultations, instruction sessions, and in-person and virtual reference services. The successful candidate works collaboratively with other subject librarians to deliver statistical and numeric data services, including software support (SAS, SPSS, etc.) related to business, and is pivotal to defining and expanding the Library’s role in supporting data services in business and related disciplines.
This position is part of the University Library’s Social Science, Business & Education team and is one of two librarians who support the Robinson College of Business. Some weekend and evening work required. Georgia State University librarians hold faculty rank and are expected to engage in service and scholarly activities.
The University Library provides one of the most attractive, open, and inviting educational facilities in the Southeast. With over 1.5 million visitors in the past year, the Library is an integral part of the University community. The Library is engaged with the campus community, offering a modern, inviting, and centralized facility supporting both teaching and research with expansive collections and outstanding assistance. Its signature Link, a multilevel glass structure that overlooks downtown Atlanta, connects the Library’s two prominent buildings. Scheduled for completion in 2014, CURVE in Library South will bring together students and expert researchers from all disciplines in a shared, hands-on, interactive space. CURVE will feature the latest visualization software and hardware and immersive large-scale displays for analyzing data, making new connections, and understanding the world around us. Located in the heart of downtown Atlanta, Georgia State University is one of the country’s top urban research universities, with over 32,000 graduate and undergraduate students enrolled in eight colleges. This diverse community offers a unique cultural and intellectual atmosphere, with many opportunities to engage in stimulating activities and events, including college sports, the performing arts, and access to a variety of local restaurants and cultural resources. For additional information about the Georgia State University Library: http://library.gsu.edu.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a business, economics, statistics or data-oriented social science field
- Minimum two (2) years professional experience in an academic or special library
- Extensive knowledge of business and financial resources in all formats
- Extensive knowledge of the research process in business disciplines
- Demonstrated experience with one or more software packages for quantitative data analysis (e.g. SAS, SPSS, R, etc.)
- Experience providing library instruction and/or classroom teaching or training
- Strong understanding of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to pass a background check
- Experience with the Bloomberg Terminal, Datastream, and WRDS
- Experience developing online tutorials
- Demonstrated scholarly and professional activities
- Forty-hour work week Retirement plans include: Teachers Retirement System,
- Twelve-month assignment TIAA–CREF, VALIC, & Fidelity
- Twenty-one days of vacation Group health and life insurance
- Twelve paid holidays Social Security
- Twelve days sick leave Optional pre-tax benefits
- Faculty rank and status Support for research and professional activities
- Non-Tenure track
$46,000 - $54,000 for 12 months. Salary commensurate with the candidate’s education and experience. Appointment at a faculty rank, on a contract renewal basis.
Submit a cover letter addressing the above qualifications; resume; name, address and phone number of three references, including immediate supervisor. Revised: Review of materials will begin July 31, 2014 and continue until the position is filled. Send materials to:
Georgia State University
Attn: Human Resources Officer
100 Decatur Street, SE, Atlanta, GA 30303-3202
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC