Created: June 11, 2014
BGC Engineering Vancouver0 other recent jobs
DescriptionBGC is an applied earth sciences consulting firm providing services in geotechnical engineering, hydrogeology, hydrology, geomorphology and engineering geology. We specialize in providing consulting services to the resource, development, and transportation sectors, where we apply our high level of technical skill and experience to every problem we solve for our clients.
BGC has a team of 300 engineers, geoscientists, and technicians who provide a full range of investigation, assessment, design and construction supervision services worldwide. BGC has successfully undertaken projects throughout North and South America, Europe, Africa, Australia and Asia, and has offices in Canada, Chile and the United States.
BGC Engineering seeks an innovative, outgoing, self-motivated librarian with a keen interest in leading a special library to develop and manage BGC’s library and information services.
The librarian’s primary responsibilities include providing user-centred research and information services to staff, managing and facilitating access to the company’s information assets, and developing and implementing systems for the organization and retrieval of information across the organization. The librarian is responsible for aligning these services with the goals of the organization and for communicating the value of library and information services to its management and stakeholders.
The BGC library has grown over the past three years into a thriving, user-centred special library, and our librarian provides embedded services in an organizational context. The new librarian will have a unique opportunity to initiate, design and develop information services and systems that make a difference and that advance the field of special librarianship.
There will be an immediate opportunity to contribute to the planning and design of a new library space in preparation for a spring 2015 office move.
Some travel is required for this position.
- Masters degree in library and/or information studies from an ALA-accredited graduate program
- 3-5 years of experience developing and delivering user services in a research library
- Strong interest in special libraries and in leading a corporate library
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centred services
- Self-motivation and demonstrated ability to work independently
- Proven ability to lead service and system development initiatives
- Conscious and effective decision-making ability
- Personable, outgoing, and social, with a commitment to ongoing development of interpersonal skills
- Experience in cataloguing, preferably applying metadata to cartographic or geospatial resources
- Experience creating, maintaining, and applying taxonomies
- Understanding of how to provide InterLibrary Loans and document delivery in a special library
- Experience designing systems to meet end-user needs
- Experience liaising with a variety of working groups
- Experience creating web content or instructional materials
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint 2010 or 2013
- builds relationships with a wide variety of internal and external colleagues
- develops and delivers in-depth research and reference services
- curates research results to provide the most relevant information to project teams
- collaborates with staff to solve research problems
- designs and delivers research skills training
- coaches staff in research skills development and personal information management
- conducts ongoing needs assessment and service reviews
- promotes and advocates for the library and information services within the organization
- designs, develops and maintains online content for the library’s intranet site
- facilitates access to a variety of information resources, including books, journals, conference proceedings, theses, government reports, consultant reports, statistics, aerial photographs, geological maps, etc.
Resource and Information Management
- organizes, catalogues, and manages the collection of BGC’s information and knowledge resources
- manages acquisitions and negotiates electronic content subscriptions
- manages the development of consistent metadata schema for all collections
- supervises staff in metadata entry, including resource description and access points
- collaborates with the administrative and documents teams to organize and provide access to internal information resources
- conducts ongoing information audits to identify information assets and incorporate them into the strategic information management plan
- reviews data, information and knowledge management needs, and recommends appropriate programs and tools to support them using systems such as SharePoint and SydneyPlus
- leads special information management projects using SharePoint or other tools, leveraging the power of metadata, taxonomies, and search to manage information
- aligns library and information services with the company’s goals
- communicates the value of library and information services to company management and stakeholders
- maintains current knowledge of copyright, licensing, and intellectual property issues, advises the organization, and manages the company’s Access Copyright license
- develops library policies and procedures
- hires, coaches and supervises library staff administers the integrated library system (ILS)
- designs library spaces
- develops and maintains a library budget consistent with organizational priorities
- participates in ongoing professional development
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 07:32 UTC