Created: June 6, 2014
Canadiana.org Ottawa0 other recent jobs
DescriptionCanadiana.org is looking for an experienced Linux/Unix system administrator to join its systems team to help it grow and maintain its technology infrastructure in order to meet the demands of its current and future activities.
Canadiana.org is a non-profit organization with a full time staff of about 25. Its mandate is to digitize, preserve and provide access to Canada's documentary heritage. Located in downtown Ottawa, Canada, Canadiana.org has worked closely with the Canadian research library and memory institution community for over 35 years.
The Linux administrator is responsible for building, managing and supporting Canadiana.org’s IT services and network structure. The network infrastructure consists primarily of Linux servers with some additional non-Linux hardware and software (Microsoft, Cisco, Apple) and a combination of Windows, Linux and Macintosh desktop computers and workstations. The primary activities of the Linux administrator include:
- Planning, building, monitoring and maintaining LAN and WAN architecture and services.
- Assessing hardware requirements and planning for expansion and growth.
- Administering applications and services.
- Monitoring and optimizing server and application performance.
- Managing data storage and repositories.
- Building and maintaining tools and scripts.
- Providing technical support to staff.
Candidates must have good communication skills. A significant capability for creativity and self-direction is expected. A university degree in computer science or similar discipline, or relevant experience is required. A qualified candidate will have a broad knowledge of Linux system administration and the LAMP application stack, TCP/IP networking, common Internet services and protocols, and will have practical experience with at least some of the following:
- Shell and/or Perl scripting
- MySQL or other relational databases
- Solr and Jetty or other servlet containers
- Backup, restore and disaster recovery
- Large volume data storage
- System performance tuning
- Router and switch administration
- JBOD and RAID
- Windows administration
- Windows and MacOS desktop support
Occasional travel and work outside of normal business hours is required. This position requires some lifting and moving of heavy equipment (up to 25 kg). A valid driver’s license and the ability to communicate in both French and English are desirable assets. All applicants must be current residents of Canada and must hold or be eligible to hold Public Works and Government Services Canada reliability status. Experience with library services, digitization and metadata is desirable.
Application and Details
This is a full time position with an initial one year term of appointment. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience. Please send resumes and inquiries to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC