DescriptionThe Program Director of Geospatial Research Support provides expertise on the development and application of geospatial analysis processes, protocols, and solutions for American University faculty and graduate students in their work with geospatial data and applications, both in the AU Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Labs and in remote fieldwork. Supports the research and teaching programs of the American University using GIS technology and resources. The incumbent has responsibility for building and curating American University’s spatial data collection, and for the provision of services in support of robust geospatial research.
ALA-accredited M.L.S., or an equivalent advanced degree in a related discipline such as geographic information systems, geography, cartography, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficiency with GIS software and spatial data, demonstrated experience with design and delivery of GIS-related instruction, and expertise in geographic and cartographic principles.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience with the suite of ESRI GIS products, open source, and online GIS software and platforms.
- Demonstrated understanding of the use and potential of geospatial information for research, teaching, and learning in an academic environment. Sound familiarity with the types, producers, sources and formats of geospatial data.
- Willingness and ability to independently discover and learn new geospatially relevant technologies and sources, and their potential applications by the AU community in the scholarly research process.
- Demonstrated experience with managing geospatial data, and with creating and growing a GIS service supporting academic research. Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities effectively.
Demonstrated strong public service ethic, communication and collaborative skills. Ability to work across a broad-based constituency and to communicate a positive university image.
American University is an Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. American University campus is tobacco and smoke free.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, May 22, 2014 15:00 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC