Sr. Architect DevOps
Created: May 6, 2014
ProQuest Ann Arbor0 other recent jobs
DescriptionProQuest is seeking a Senior Architect - DevOps
This person is responsible for software/platform infrastructure and deployment. At ProQuest we need to create a strong DevOps team to lead our configuration management and release platform. You will have shared responsibility for deploying releases and will play a large role in helping us make the transition to be a fully cloud-based platform. To succeed, you should have experience with various version control systems (Perforce, Subversion, Git, etc), build tools (Jenkins, Apache Ant, Apache Maven, etc) and cloud automated deployment tools (Chef, Puppet). Your goal is to fully automate the provisioning of servers, deployment of code and general configuration management. You will be working closely with development, QA, and product teams.
Some of what you'll be doing:
- Interacts with the lead software development organization on a day-to-day basis by gathering and organizing build requirements, providing status, and ensuring that the stakeholders are informed and satisfied with the end product.
- Builds and maintains different software environments.
- Builds and maintains source control systems
- Deploys PQ products and maintains build infrastructure.
- Creates tools to support the development organization.
- Oversees tools that monitor/measure the results of software systems (e.g. Cacti, Gomez)
- Proposes, develops, reviews, and revises, new procedures as needed for the continuing development of high quality systems.
- Executes on multiple projects at one time, balancing numerous needs, yet still delivering on time.
- Oversees applications and systems of a complex nature.
- Provides training to other team members.
- Keeps informed of, proposes and evaluates new hardware / software for company use.
- Evangelizing DevOps practices and automation internally and externally
- Creation and editing of cookbooks for Chef
- Creation and editing of auto-scaling strategies
- Deep Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment methodologies with Jenkins or similar
- Maintenance of automated tooling code in Ruby and/or Python at expert level
- Maintenance of Continuous Integration platform for our infrastructure code
What you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelors’ degree or higher in Computer Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Understanding and application of several programming/scripting languages
- Ability to work with software configuration management systems
- Level-appropriate experience with:
- Servers/computer hardware and software
- DNS, including diagnostics with Unix tools
- Very good understanding of networks and common protocols
- Linux, Unix, Windows
- Very knowledgeable in Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Saltstack
- Auto scaling knowledge
- Advanced knowledge in monitoring and performance statistical analysis
- Proficiency in development supporting tools such as various VCS (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to professionally interact with a diverse blend of personalities to reach resolution and maintain strong relationships
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team
- Excellent researching and problem solving skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Effective execution working in a distributed team model, including successful consensus-building and managing complex interdependencies
- Ability to act as a mentor
- Ability to support systems after hours or on weekends
Here’s what you want to know about ProQuest
Fantastic people: Where smart is the norm and unique is welcome
Fun location: Restaurants all around, within walking distance to Briarwood Mall, and approximately 3 miles from Downtown Ann Arbor.
Great benefits: On-site events, flexible scheduling and wellness programs, plus Bike to work benefits.
Awesome office environment: Nice office, jeans are the norm and unlimited complimentary coffee and tea for the caffeine craved
Amazing company: Annual compensation reviews, generous bonuses, along with being voted as one of the Top Places to Work by Detroit Free Press, three years in a row!
ProQuest connects people with vetted, reliable information. We provide seamless access to and navigation of more than 125 billion digital pages of the world's scholarship, delivering it to the desktop and into the workflow of serious researchers in multiple fields, from arts, literature, and social science to general reference, business, science, technology, and medicine. The company is currently rolling out the all-new ProQuest® platform, which moves beyond navigation to empower researchers to use, create, and share content—accelerating research productivity.
If this position isn’t quite your fit, check out our other positions posted on our “Career” page under About Us. ProQuest’s corporate office is located in Ann Arbor, MI. www.Proquest.com
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC