DescriptionThe Ohio University Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Metadata Librarian. We seek an innovative and user-oriented candidate who is comfortable in a changing environment and who is energized by a collaborative work environment with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Reporting to the Head of Metadata Services, the Metadata Librarian is responsible for metadata creation, analysis, and enrichment for library resources in all formats, including digital objects & special collections materials. This position contributes to the maintenance of library databases and works closely with other staff to ensure optimal access and discovery of resources.
Specifically, the Metadata Librarian:
- Creates and maintains high quality descriptive, administrative and technical metadata in both machine-readable (MARC) and non-MARC formats for both physical and digital library collections.
- Functionally supervises two full time staff responsible for copy cataloging, advanced cataloging, and applying metadata to digitized materials.
- Contributes to the daily operations of the department by attending and engaging in departmental meetings; attends other library meetings and participates in committee work as assigned.
- Works closely with acquisitions, web services, subject librarians and other staff to ensure good communication and efficient workflows across departments.
- Engages in regular professional development through research, publications, presentations and participation in regional and national associations as part of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to Ohio University Libraries.
- A Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited institution at point of hire.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of MARC and non-MARC (AACR2, RDA, EAD, etc.) standards.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of LCSH and LCC.
- Effective oral, written, interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies
- Demonstrated experience with MARC and non-MARC metadata in an academic/research library environment.
- Experience using Innovative Interfaces ILS, OCLC Connexion, CONTENTdm, WordPress, and/or Omeka.
- Working knowledge of one or more non-English languages.
- Successful supervisory experience.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC