DPLA Metadata Coordinator
The Digital Public Library of America is recruiting for a *Metadata Coordinator *to join our growing team. The Metadata Coordinator will be a member of the Content Team and will report to the Director for Content.
The Metadata Coordinator:
- serves as DPLA's metadata expert, responsible for DPLA MAP data model creation and maintenance and international standards compliance
- is the staff expert for DPLA in best practices for metadata, metadata analysis and improvements,
- will work to establish a best practices with our partners for data corrections and data sharing
- works closely with technical staff to design/utilize community sourcing activities and tools around metadata improvement and enhancement
- leads Linked Open Data (LOD) implementation for DPLA and our partners
- works closely with technical and content staff and DPLA partners to design an efficient ingest process
- tests and implements emerging protocols for metadata ingest
- brings creative vision to the team around possibilities for working with data
- is active in GLAM community metadata groups
- will assist in the content recruitment process and take on associated projects as needed
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- 4+ years of professional experience managing metadata in a repository
- Practical experience managing all aspects of metadata creation for a digital repository, including selection and implementation of metadata standards, quality control, and crosswalking/mapping data sets.
- Demonstrable knowledge of metadata standards including DC, MODS, METS, MARC, MARCXML, PBCORE
- Demonstrable knowledge of protocols and data models including OAI-PMH, OAI-ORE, ResourceSync, Europeana Data Model (EDM), DPLA MAP, Linked Open Data, RDF
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or an equivalent
Other desired skills include:
- 2+ years of experience harvesting metadata from different sources using one of the protocols listed above
- Professional level work experience in a collaborative digital library, archive, museum or other similar institution
- Familiarity with one or more scripting languages
- Familiarity with APIs
Like its collection, the DPLA is strongly committed to diversity in all of its forms. We provide a full set of benefits, including health care, life and disability insurance, and a retirement account. Starting salary is commensurate with experience.
The DPLA's central office is in the Boston Public Library, in Copley Square in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts. The Metadata Coordinator will ideally be located in the Boston area, but a remote work environment may also be considered.
Please send a letter of interest, a resume/cv, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Metadata Coordinator" in the subject line. Questions about the position may be directed to the Director for Content, Emily Gore, at email@example.com.
The full job ad can be found on the DPLA website at http://dp.la/info/2014/03/31/dpla-job-opportunity-content-specialist/
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC