Metadata Management Librarian
DescriptionBrown University Library seeks an experienced, creative, and technically-savvy professional for the role of Metadata Management Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services, the Metadata Management Librarian's major responsibilities will involve working with batch-loaded and locally-created metadata to ensure accuracy, consistency, and utility across the Library's discovery platforms. S/he will also provide metadata expertise in support of these discovery tools, write documentation, consult with and train colleagues, and be active in building external relationships and professional development.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications, skills, and experience:
- MLS or equivalent graduate degree
- 3-5 years or relevant experience in an academic library, archive, or comparable environment
- Demonstrated experience creating, editing, and transforming metadata (MARC and non-MARC)
- Demonstrated experience with various metadata schema (e.g., AACR2, RDA, MODS, Dublin Core, VRA)
- Demonstrated experience with metadata issues related to the discovery of academic resources
- Strong communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Experience in transformation of XML documents using XSLT
- Experience writing scripts in common scripting languages such as Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby. Experience with MarcEdit or similar tools
- Self-motivation with strong time management skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment
- Experience with linked data, semantic web applications, ontologies, and RDF.
- Familiarity with established or emerging name authority/identifier initiatives (e.g., NACO, VIAF, ORCID, ISNI)
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces ILS; Blacklight, VuFind, or similar discovery systems; Summon, EDS, or Primo.
- Experience with Serials Solutions services and/or OCLC Metadata Collection Manager.
Brown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC
How to apply
Sheila A. Coleman
XSL Transformations XML VuFind Visual Resources Association Resource Description and Access Python PHP Perl Metadata Object Description Standard Metadata MARC standards Integrated library system Dublin Core blacklight
Published: Friday, March 28, 2014 15:23 UTC