DescriptionOrganization: University of Waterloo
Category: Library (Academic)
Job type: Full-time
Description and duties:
The University of Waterloo Library seeks a creative, dynamic and public service oriented professional librarian to fill a position as Digital Repository Librarian. The position offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced, energetic and collaborative librarian to build on past and present achievements and to move the digital agenda forward for the University of Waterloo Library.
Digital Initiatives is responsible for the collaborative development of strategies, planning, implementation, and support of projects to advance the creation, integration and use of web based services, technical infrastructure, digital services, digital repository, digital preservation and service integration for the Library.
Technical support and administration of key enterprise library applications are also managed with the department, for the uWaterloo community as well as the other Tri-University Group (TUG) member libraries University of Guelph and Wilfrid Laurier University. As the department serves broadly across the Library, the incumbent will work closely with all Library departments on projects at some point or another. Key partners include the Library’s Web Operations Group, Liaison Librarians, Faculty and students, Library Technology & Facilities Services, web content creators, and the campus web content management leadership across campus, as well as technology leadership at TUG member libraries, OCUL and elsewhere.
The University of Waterloo Library is a member of the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL), the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI), and the Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL). The Library is a member of TUG, serving a combined student population of over 76,000, combined holdings exceeding 5 million, and combined budgets exceeding $45 million. The Tri-University Group manages shared technology and a remote storage facility, and enables collaborative projects across the three library systems. The successful candidate will carry out the responsibilities associated with this position in the Dana Porter Library, located on the main campus.
A complete job description is available at: http://www.hr.uwaterloo.ca/.jd/00002014.html
The Digital Repository Librarian:
• leads projects which design and develop technologies supporting the capture, description, delivery, and preservation of digital objects
• provides ongoing development and support of repository infrastructures for digital collections
• assesses the technical requirements for digitization projects and drafts appropriate specifications and procedures
• facilitates research and educational uses of digital collections
• provides leadership in the Library’s open access scholarly communications services, working closely with liaison librarians, Library Managers, and others across campus, as appropriate
• takes an active role in the development of digital preservation policies and practices, in collaboration with library staff
The Digital Repository Librarian reports to the Head, Digital Initiatives.
• ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS degree, or equivalent
• Experience with digital repositories and content management systems
• Demonstrated ability to independently, as well as collaboratively, plan, coordinate, and implement effective digital projects, including managing multiple and simultaneous projects
• Proficiency with well-formed XML; strong, demonstrated facility with standards-based non-MARC metadata (eg. Dublin Core); ability to investigate and learn new metadata standards as required
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on projects across a wide range of departments and for varying audiences
• Demonstrated creativity with library services and intellectual curiosity
• A strong commitment to high quality service
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently without direct supervision
• Knowledge of research data management trends in academic libraries
• Project management experience (preferably agile methodology) with complex digital initiatives involving many stakeholders
• Knowledge of digital preservation standards and best practices
• Familiarity with digital repositories (eg. Islandora, Drupal, Fedora Commons, DSpace, Dataverse, etc.)
• Familiarity with Open Access digital scholarship publishing platforms (eg. Open Journal Systems)
• Intermediate programming and/or system administrator skills; experience working with programmers (e.g., writing spec and use cases)
The salary for this position will be commensurate with experience and academic/ professional qualifications. For uWaterloo salary scales, refer to: https://uwaterloo.ca/secretariat-general-counsel/policies-procedures-gui...
Additional information :
This is a full-time permanent position. Librarians’ at the University of Waterloo are governed by University policy as well as the Librarians’ Employment Handbook, available at: http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/AboutLibrary/documents/LEH2010-June2010.pdf
In just half a century, the University of Waterloo, located at the heart of Canada's technology hub, has become one of Canada's leading comprehensive universities with 35,000 full- and part-time students in undergraduate and graduate programs. Waterloo, as home to the world's largest post-secondary co-operative education program, embraces its connections to the world and encourages enterprising partnerships in learning, research and discovery. In the next decade, the university is committed to building a better future for Canada and the world by championing innovation and collaboration to create solutions relevant to the needs of today and tomorrow. For more information about Waterloo, please visit uwaterloo.ca.
Organization web site: http://uwaterloo.ca
Application deadline: Apr 14 2014
How to apply
Published: Friday, March 21, 2014 17:35 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC