Senior Librarian for Web Services
Created: March 17, 2014
San Jose Public Library San Jose0 other recent jobs
DescriptionAbout the Organization
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
San José Public Library is the largest public library system between San Francisco and Los Angeles. A proud recipient of the Gale/Library Journal Library of the Year Award, the library is an acknowledged leader in providing innovative services to meet changing customer needs. The San José Public Library enriches lives by fostering lifelong learning and by ensuring that every member of the community has access to a vast array of ideas and information. With 22 branches, plus the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, we offer tremendous opportunities for learning, discovery and pure enjoyment.
Position and Duties
The Senior Librarian for Web Services will be under the supervision of the Division Manager for Technology and Innovation and work closely with San José Public Library (SJPL) and San José State University (SJSU) Information Technology and Technical Services. This position will consider new trends in web and mobile technology, analyze library applicability, and work with SJSU counterparts, Library IT and the San José Way for implementation. The Senior Librarian for Web Services will provide collaborative oversight of the Library’s web site and coordination of Sierra ILS services, electronic resources and implementation and support of staff technology resources, such as SharePoint. The Senior Librarian for Web Services will oversee task forces and work to ensure technology is understood throughout the organization. The successful candidate will supervise SJPL’s web team, electronic resources staff, and may supervise staff that work directly with the Sierra ILS. We are looking for a leader comfortable with technology and an understanding of how emerging technology can facilitate vital library services.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create websites, web code and applications
- Evaluate, pilot, and implement web solutions
- Integrate social media and e-library technology
- Plan, implement and evaluate programs/services
- Establish performance measures
- Monitor program budgets
- Prioritize and assign work, conduct performance evaluations and ensure staff is trained
- Lead organization-wide staff through web and electronic resources evolution and development
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university, plus three (3) years of
increasingly responsible professional library experience, including supervision or lead responsibility for
professional and technical staff.
2. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and (4) four years of increasingly responsible
professional library experience, including supervision or lead responsibility for web design staff and familiarity with electronic resources for libraries.
3. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
To Learn More and Apply
To view the full announcement for this exciting opportunity and apply online with the City of San José, please visit the City of San José’s employment page at www.sanjoseca.gov/cityjobs.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC