Head of Metadata Services
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Collections & Digital Initiatives, the Head of Metadata Services directs the assignments of seven staff responsible for cataloging at all levels, in all formats, and for all collections and promotes a collaborative and healthy work environment. The department head closely evaluates cataloging standards and other methods of access control and develops internal policies and procedures to optimize access to information. This position regularly assesses procedures and develops strategies to increase productivity and to streamline workflows. The successful candidate will work closely with Digital Initiatives staff to plan, implement, and support projects that advance the creation and integration of digital library services and digital collections.
Specifically, the Head of Metadata Services:
- Manages the daily activities of the department and participates in metadata creation.
- Leads staff in setting and achieving departmental goals and objectives in line with the Libraries' strategic priorities.
- Provides coaching, mentoring, and technical expertise to library staff within and outside of department.
- Identifies trends, new protocols, best practices and processes requiring improvement to ensure the department is meeting the needs of the users.
- Works closely with other department heads and library administration to ensure effective, efficient and user-oriented services across the libraries.
- Coordinates activities with statewide library organizations and participates in statewide cataloging initiatives.
- Engages in regular professional development through research, publications, presentations and participation in regional and national associations as part of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to Ohio University students and faculty.
- A Master's degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Minimum three years of progressively responsible experience in metadata/cataloging in a library setting.
- Thorough knowledge of AACR2, RDA, Dublin Core metadata standard, MARC, LCC, LCSH.
- Basic knowledge of Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard/Metadata Object Description Standard (METS/MODS) and Encoded Archival Description (EAD).
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with a commitment to data-informed decision making processes.
- Successful supervisory experience.
- At least five years of professional experience in an academic library setting.
- Experience leading teams and fostering collaborative relationships.
- Experience using Innovative Interfaces' integrated library system.
- Experience using CONTENTdm, WordPress, and/or Omeka.
- Experience contributing records through one or more of the PCC programs
- Experience planning and creating digital collections.
- Cataloging knowledge of one or more non-English languages
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC
How to apply
WordPress Resource Description and Access METS Metadata Object Description Standard Metadata MARC standards Library of Congress Subject Headings Inc Innovative Interfaces Encoded Archival Description Dublin Core CONTENTdm Cataloging
Published: Thursday, March 13, 2014 08:04 UTC