DescriptionThe Data Services and Collections Librarian is the leader within the UC San Diego Library for managing and providing data and statistical services, with a focus on social science data. The position reports primarily to the Director of the Library’s Reference & Research Advisory Services Program with additional assigned responsibilities in the Library’s Collection Development & Management and Research Data Curation programs.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Provides leadership for the management and implementation of data and statistical services and collections.
- Serves as the specialist for dataset and statistical analysis for research assistance, assisting in person as well as virtual users and providing in-depth research consultations by appointment.
- Conducts data and statistics reference training (new and ongoing) for other reference providers and facilitates library communications about data and statistics resources.
- Selects and manages datasets, statistical materials in all applicable formats, and statistical software to meet curricular and research needs of the campus.
- Participates in and provides feedback for data-related local and/or UC-wide collection management activities and projects, including assessment of holdings, de-accessioning and relocating materials as needed.
- Engages with campus communities, providing a combination of targeted or specialized services, including instruction, for dataset and statistical software users.
- Provides general reference and research services both in person and virtually.
- Works with the Research Data Curation Program to develop data curation and repository services for social science collections.
- Engages with campus partners to make digital scholarly work and data openly discoverable and accessible for the long term.
- Partners with curation and subject librarians for data curation outreach to campus.
- Serves as the Library’s liaison to ICPSR and DDI initiatives and represents the UC San Diego Library at pertinent meetings and conferences.
- Professional degree from a library school or other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields relevant to library services.
- Experience providing numeric data services support in an academic setting.
- Ability to download and transform data files to meet the various needs of users.
- Proficient with social sciences statistical packages and software, such as SPSS, STATA, SAS, R.
- Ability to develop effective relationships between the library and campus IT departments to further dataset management projects.
- Experience providing reference service in an academic or research library serving similar clientele.
- Superior organizational, analytical, and communication skills.
- Candidate must have a strong commitment to excellence in service and be able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education.
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in the social sciences.
- Experience with GIS data and applications.
- Experience in collection development activities in an academic library.
- Experience with data curation in an academic environment.
- Experience providing library instruction.
How to apply
Published: Monday, March 17, 2014 17:45 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC