DescriptionKNL/FHL Repository/Library Software Developer - DTC-1400000514
KNL/FHL Embedded Librarian for IFD - DTC
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Inter-American Development Bank is seeking a problem-solving, proactive, resourceful, technically proficient, detail-oriented, and results driven repository and library software developer to support, maintain, and develop its DSpace repository and other library platforms. The position will leverage existing technology to deploy tools and strategies that will widely disseminate IDB’s publications by applying semantic web solutions. The successful candidate will have programming experience in DSpace as well as troubleshooting and maintenance of library platforms.
Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB or the Bank) is the main source of multilateral financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries. The Knowledge and Learning Department, through the Felipe Herrera Library, supports the dissemination of IDB’s knowledge products by disseminating publications through a set of strategies that include OAI and metadata crosswalks, among others.
• To maintain and develop existing library platforms and the Bank’s Knowledge Repository in DSpace
• Generate reports of data usage and other metrics under demand
Activities and Responsabilites
• Provide ongoing support, troubleshooting, development, and enhancements to the repository infrastructure (DSpace) both during and occasionally outside of normal business hours.
• Provide support for API development and integration of systems supporting library partners.
• In consultation with library staff, as well as working with other IDB staff and IT department, develop extended services based on discovery and resource management platforms using available API's.
• Provide data and metadata extraction, analysis, and reports to support both management information needs and workflow requirements.
• Integrate applications with related repositories, database systems, authentication systems, search engines, discovery systems, and other sources of information.
• Gather and analyze technical requirements in order to develop appropriate system functionality.
• Manage support activities with vendors by opening descriptive support calls, setting priorities, following up with vendors in order to fix and enhance systems functionalities.
• Work in coordination with IT department in order to ensure that systems follow Bank’s standards regarding language, platforms, and security.
• Assist in providing support for a variety of other library applications (Aleph, Primo, SFX, ILLiad, LibGuides, etc.).
• Keep abreast of technical developments in Open Access to scholarly communications; maintains awareness of trends in institutional repositories and new technologies.
Characteristics of the Consultancy
Consultancy Category & Modality: DTC & Monthly
Contract duration:19 Months
Place(s) of work: Headquaters, Washington DC
Place of Assignment
The candidate will join the library team located in the Bank’s headquarters in Washington DC, USA
The consultant will work under the supervision of the Systems Librarian of the Felipe Herrera Library
Master degree or equivalent in Computer Science, and/or Library/Information Sciences, or closely related field
Two to four years previous experience in open software (DSpace) ) applications development for Libraries or similar
Areas of expertise :
Programing experience in DSpace software, OAI-PMH, SWORD, Tomcat, Apache HTTP, Oracle.
Extensive knowledge of Java, Servlets, JSP, and Spring in web-based applications, including an awareness of their strengths and weaknesses for use in given circumstances.
Experience with web oriented programming and responsive web design using languages such as Java, Perl, PHP and protocols such as HTTP, FTP, and REST architectures.
Familiarity with relational database programming (Oracle, SQLServer, MySQL), including an understanding of good SQL practices, schema design, normalization, and query performance analysis.
Familiarity with Unix/Linux operating systems.
Highly analytical, proactive, and results driven.
Software development skills including: technology scan/research/evaluations/selection, technical design, systems integrations, testing, source code control, deployment and configuration management.
Keen interest in technology and development practices - not only those that have been part of previous or current projects but also those that are new and/or emerging, combined with an awareness of the future of the software development profession.
Ability to adapt, learn quickly, and provide support in new platforms and technologies.
Working knowledge of publishing and preservation metadata standards such as Dublin Core, MARC, MARCXML, and METS.
Knowledge of OpenText is an asset.
Payment and Conditions of Employment:
If the work will be carried out at Bank headquarters in Washington D.C. Remuneration will be determined in accordance with Bank regulations and criteria. The Bank will additionally contribute toward travel and moving expenses, if applicable. If a candidate is not a citizen or resident of the United States, the Bank will apply for a G-IV visa from the consulate of the United States in the candidate's country of origin. If a candidate cannot obtain a visa to work at the IDB the contractual offer will be rescinded.
How to apply
Published: Monday, March 10, 2014 15:46 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:43 UTC