User Interfaces: IT Programmer
University of North Texas — Denton
0 other recent jobs
Created: February 25, 2014
DescriptionProviding leadership in innovation and learning, the UNT Libraries are an essential force in teaching and research. The Libraries provide expertise in all areas of scholarship and work to meet the ever-changing needs of a vibrant, student-centered research university.
The UNT Libraries' User Interfaces Unit provides web development services to the Libraries and partners both at UNT and beyond the UNT community. To continuously improve the user experience, we work in a variety of areas including usability and accessibility, information architecture, content strategy, design, CMS system architecture, and resource discovery.
As web-systems developer for the User Interfaces Unit in the Digital Libraries Division, you will undertake the functional planning, execution, testing, and documentation of software solutions that power the Libraries' web publishing and resource discovery systems.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Contributing to development of Drupal module and theme functions used in the Libraries
- Providing programming support for the Libraries' website, exhibit, blog, e-journal, and other narrative presentation platforms
- Acting as developer for grant, contract, and special projects related to library web development projects
- Providing programming support for the development of resource discovery systems for the UNT Libraries, including the library catalog, finding aids, and other search systems
- Contributing to the development of APIs used for library systems interoperability
- Providing programming support for Digital Libraries Systems including the "Aubrey" content delivery systems and "Aubrey" editor
- Adhering to the unit's version control practices for software development and deployment
- Adhering to the unit's testing practices for software and interface development
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree with coursework in computing or information systems and one year of related computing or programming work experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Knowledge of the methods and equipment used in electronic data processing.
* Skill in writing programs for computer applications.
* Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions.
- Proficiency in PHP, Python, or Ruby
- Working knowledge of software development practices
- Working knowledge of open-source technologies
- Understanding of library-technology standards and practices
- Working knowledge of version control systems
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time at a computer terminal
- Visual acuity to use a computer monitor
- Manual dexterity to use a computer keyboard and mouse and to manipulate small hand tools
Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 15:36 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC