Full time Remote / Telecommute
Saskatchewan Information and Library Services Consortium (SILS) — Regina
0 other recent jobs
Created: February 13, 2014
DescriptionSaskatchewan Information and Library Services Consortium
Integrated Library System Administrator
What is SILS?
The Saskatchewan Information and Library Services Consortium (SILS) is a network of over 300 public libraries that work together to provide seamless and consistent library services within the province of Saskatchewan. SILS maintains the core library technology infrastructure for its municipal library and regional library system members. The role of SILS will be expanding in 2014 to include the development of patron-facing web applications with a goal of achieving a common user experience and dynamic integration of library collections and patron account functionality. Now is the time to join this forward-thinking organization and contribute to supporting world-class library services in Saskatchewan!
We are looking for a service-oriented individual who enjoys working in a diverse and customer-focused environment. You are organized, technically sound and a credible system administrator. You have demonstrated an ability to work within a fast-paced and collaborative team environment, and you have excellent skills in building relationships, communicating effectively, and serving the needs of others. Most importantly, you are a responsive, hands-on problem solver and have a propensity to get things done!
What you’ll be doing:
The Integrated Library System Administrator is responsible for the support and administration of the Consortium’s integrated library system (ILS) that provides a variety of services including circulation, cataloguing, acquisitions, serials, reports, external interface functions, and public access. Work is performed with considerable independent judgment and initiative.
Key responsibilities include:
• Manage the integrated library system (ILS) functionality and system access.
• Determine best practices for ILS system upgrades and software implementation.
• Develop and configure ILS features for effective system performance in a consortial environment.
• Advise circulation and assessment managers in best practices of data management and extraction relating to the Consortium-wide database.
• Configure and manage system data loads and third-party software connections.
• Work with stakeholders to improve services through systems refinement, enhancement, and innovation.
• Train agency and SILS staff in the management of statistical reporting and circulation functionality.
• Develop and create recurring and on-demand reports for SILS agencies.
• Collaborate with clients and colleagues to ensure timely completion of tasks, assists others when needed, and request assistance if necessary.
• Monitor industry trends and best practices related to information access and discovery and recommend improvements to existing tools and workflows as appropriate.
• Act as a resource to the Consortium’s committees and working groups when requested.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
• An ALA-accredited MLIS degree.
• 3-5 years of relevant professional experience.
• Ability to work in a creative and highly productive environment. Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with clients. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Self-directed, flexible, and results-driven with a demonstrated ability to initiate, collaborate, and deliver results.
• Demonstrated knowledge of SQL and relational database structure.
• Familiarity with MARC and non-MARC metadata schemas, standards, and best practices.
The following would be an asset:
• Additional degree or advanced diploma in computer science or equivalent experience.
• Relevant and current Microsoft Certification(s) such as MCITP or MCSA (SQL Server).
• Five years of public library experience.
• Experience working in a consortium.
Position: Full-Time. Travel may be required throughout the Province of Saskatchewan. A valid driver’s license is required. This position is based in either the Regina or Saskatoon (your choice).
Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience. This is a full-time, permanent position offering a comprehensive benefit package and professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Interested parties should submit a resume, including the names of three references, to Rob Zylstra, Executive Director, 2207 Smith Street, Regina, SK, S4P 2P5. 306-260-6459. firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, February 13, 2014 16:51 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC