Head of Digital Experience
Smithsonian Institution — Washington, D.C.
0 other recent jobs
Created: February 12, 2014
DescriptionHead of Digital Experience
Archives of American Art
Location: Washington, D.C.
Salary: The position will be filled at the Grade 9 or Grade 11 depending on qualifications
Non-federal, Temporary Trust position; Full-Time
27 mo. appointment with potential for extension to indefinite status
The Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, is the nation’s largest repository of documentation of the visual arts and culture in the United States. The Archives’ mission is to collect, preserve, and make available for study records, papers, photographs, diaries, sketchbooks, and oral history interviews. Its digital environment directly supports the Archives’ collections management of over 5,000 archival collections representing over 15,000 linear ft., an active oral history program, a major digitization and access initiative, exhibitions, acquisitions, public outreach, education, reference, and fundraising, and participation in Smithsonian pan-Institutional initiatives.
The incumbent will serve as the Archives’ Head of Digital Experience in an ongoing effort to improve the website www.aaa.si.edu as the primary means of communicating information about the Archives within the context of the Smithsonian Institution, and in providing access to collections and resources. Included in the responsibilities are coordinating and publishing content from internal stakeholders; monitoring and evaluating the Archives’ web properties; working closely with technical and digital projects’ staff and contract developers and designers; keeping abreast of relevant emerging technologies; participating in Smithsonian-wide web and IT-related activities, and providing guidance and input on strategies for moving the Archives towards its goal of greater openness and sharing of our digital resources and data.
Applicants should have technical knowledge and skills in:
- Best practices for creating, formatting and presenting textual, graphic, and A/V content for use on web and digital media platforms (websites, blogs, social media, mobile devices)
- Core principles and best practices in the fields of web content management, user experience design, usability, information architecture, and accessibility
- Best practices for search engine optimization and web analytics
- Hand encoding standards-compliant HTML/XML/CSS
- Database systems and database design as they pertain to websites
- Web design and development software, especially the Adobe Creative Suite tools, including DreamWeaver, Acrobat, and Photoshop.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills; ability to multitask and perform work independently as well as part of an integrated team.
- Archive, library or museum information environments that utilize EAD or other XML based technology, and an understanding of the archival profession and practices. MLS preferred.
The Smithsonian is an equal opportunity employer.
Karen B. Weiss
Information Resources Manager
Archives of American Art
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 14:57 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC