DescriptionThe Houston Public Library (HPL) is seeking a dynamic information technology professional to provide visionary and transformational leadership in today's digital library environment while envisioning and preparing for the library of the future. This individual is smart, strategic, creative, and results-driven with extensive experience in providing support for public services, especially in a system with multiple locations; and has deep knowledge in operational improvement and change management. The Assistant Director of Digital Strategies (ADDS) will provide leadership for the HPL Digital Strategies team, and, in keeping with HPL's vision and mission, will create a fresh direction for HPL systemwide technology services. The ADDS will work in partnership with HPL Leadership, HPL Divisions, and the City of Houston Information Technology Services Department (HITS) to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate leading edge technology strategies that support HPL's business operations, and continuously improve cost effectiveness, service quality and customer service delivery. Reporting to the Library Director, this position is an exciting executive leadership opportunity in a forward thinking organization. The ADDS serves as an integral member of the Houston Public Library Executive Leadership Team and plays a critical role in leading HPL into a future that will include state of the art technologies that support innovative information delivery, engaging learning spaces, and stellar customer experiences. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success aligning people, processes and technology; excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal and customer relationship skills; and is successful interfacing with executive management, business partners, stakeholders, and staff. The individual we seek can quickly build trust and work successfully in a large, diverse, urban environment.
Essential responsibilities for the Assistant Director for Digital Strategies include the following:
- Provide overall vision, innovation, and leadership for HPL's digital services.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Leadership Team.
- Provide leadership for the HPL Digital Strategies Team (DST). Implement team building and development opportunities for DST to facilitate innovation and to ensure continuous delivery of effective, efficient, leading edge technology services. Establish and direct the strategic and tactical goals, policies, and procedures for the division.
- Identify and address user needs and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Develop and implement a system to continuously analyze and improve upon technology standards, procedures and policies across the library to gain efficiencies and improve processes. Partner with the City of Houston Information Technology Services Department (HITS) to ensure HPL's compliance with citywide technology standards, and to ensure optimal support for HPL's technology operations.
- Serve as the Library's liaison to HITS; represent HPL on citywide technology meetings and on citywide technology committees and teams;
- Monitor performance of HITS through an operational level agreement, automated systems monitoring, and other measures.
- Establish services metrics that align with library standards and goals that demonstrate value to HPL's staff operations and excellent customer service delivery.
- Lead and encourage continuous research within HPL to ensure current knowledge of industry trends and emerging technologies for Library staff.
- Serve as a link to the wider world of library technology and technology in general through broad engagement with vendors, local and national Library colleagues, and participation in national professional organizations.
- Manage vendor relationships and contracts to maximize service level performance and minimize costs. Propose hardware/software solutions to accomplish HPL's vision and mission.
- Manage, track, and control technology operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing and operations.
- Provide general oversight for the Houston Area Library Automated Network (HALAN). HALAN is a consortium of libraries, including Houston Public Library, served by a common integrated library system (ILS) through contract with the City of Houston and housed at HPL. (The HALAN Division Chief reports to the ADDS)
- Administration of HPL's technology staff and public training centers; continuous development of training opportunities for the public and staff in using emerging technologies and applications.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume when applying.
Published: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 15:27 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC