DescriptionJob Title: University Director of Library Systems - Office of Library Services
Job ID: 10198
Location: Central Office
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Directs the planning, development, and implementation of one or more University-wide library information services, systems and/or programs.
- Oversees one or more library management functions such as cataloging, reference, user and discovery services; collection development, resource sharing or systems
- Develops, evaluates, and oversees implementation of system-wide strategic plans, policies, procedures, resource allocations and data reporting
- Develops partnerships and collaborative business relationships and models to advance, implement, and/or integrate various library services and technologies
- Negotiates and manages contracts and licenses with publishers, third-party vendors, and/or digital applications for online access to information and educational learning resources and services
- Oversees programmatic, operational and administrative effectiveness in accord with national and international standards; recommends and implements changes for new and/or improved services and functionality
- Provides reports to University executives and Council of Chief Librarians regarding library systems and programs
- Performs other duties as assigned
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Office of Library Services at the Central Administrative Office of CUNY supports the libraries at the University's 24 campuses to coordinate and enhance library services for students and faculty in partnership with campus librarians. The Office provides the CUNY+ online catalog, negotiates University-wide contracts and licenses, provides central cataloging services and subsidizes the CUNY Digital Library Collection and resource sharing. The Office seeks a Director of Library Systems to administer the University-wide library technologies and systems, develop a strategic plan for library systems operations, and partner with key stakeholders to fulfill the vision. The Director manages the strategic, administrative, operational and policy-making functions of the library systems office, collaborates with various academic, administrative and IT campus colleagues to extend the capabilities and reliability of library systems, plus implements and manages new services, upgrades and enhancements. The position reports to the University Dean for Libraries and Information Resources.
Other duties include but will not be limited to the following:
- Oversee the maintenance of CUNY's Library Management System (Aleph) and related technology (e.g., SFX, EZproxy, Serials Solutions, Primo, CORAL, bX Recommender) including revisions to complex Aleph configuration tables and implementation of new Aleph system releases and upgrades.
- Oversee the loading of bibliographic, authority, and other records into the library database as a part of the implementation and maintenance of CUNY's integrated library system.
- Lead collaborative projects with representatives from campus libraries and CIS to enhance system functionality.
- Manage, train, develop, and evaluate systems librarians and staff.
- Serve on various University-wide academic and professional committees.
Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience required; MLS degree and/or Master's in a related field may be substitute for a portion of the experience requirement.
The successful candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, abilities and experience:
- Master's degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited school is strongly preferred and may be accepted for up to two years of the required eight years of experience
- Eight years' experience managing library systems including three years of supervisory and administrative management required
- Significant high level experience with Aleph or other library management system
- Strong library technology knowledge with in-depth understanding of the best practices, standards, and trends in various library applications
- Demonstrated ability to work with people with varying levels of technology computer skills, as well as to make technology understandable to the University community
- Strong supervision and management skills with demonstrated ability to lead a team
- Detail oriented and accurate with strong organizational skills to establish plans, manage multiple assignments and conflicting priorities, and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with strong consultation, presentation, and group facilitation skills
- Proficiency using academic, administrative, and financial computer programs, systems, and databases
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a position focused cover letter and résumé with your online application. Your cover letter should clearly explain how your experience and credentials fulfill the duties and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
Open until filled; application reviews begin February 21, 2014.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
How to apply
Published: Monday, February 10, 2014 20:53 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC