DescriptionPrinceton University Library is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Ruby on Rails developer to work on implementing Blacklight and other public-facing Rails applications.
The Princeton University Library is one of the world's leading research libraries, serving a diverse community of 5,200 undergraduates, 2,600 graduate students, 853 faculty members, and many visiting scholars. Its holdings include more than 7 million printed volumes, 5 million manuscripts, 2 million non-print items, and extensive collections of digital text, data, and images. The Library employs a dedicated and knowledgeable staff of more than 300 professional and support staff working in a large central library, 9 specialized branches, and 3 storage facilities.
The incumbent, working with existing library developers, will play a key role in the development, planning, documentation, testing, and deployment of new and existing applications, and actively participate in the communities that exist around those applications.
- BA in Computer Science or a related field
- Extensive and demonstrated experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Solr, Apache, Tomcat and/or Jetty; and SQL (MySQL or other)
- Knowledge of and experience with Rails application deployment patterns
- Experience with Test Driven Development
- Experience with at least one other programming language (e.g. Python, Java, PHP)
- Competency with Git/Github for source code version control and collaboration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of and experience with library descriptive metadata formats (MARC, MODS, Dublin Core, EAD, VRA)
- Familiarity with Linked Data and Linked Data publishing patterns
- Work experience in an academic library
- Experience with Integrated Library Systems
- Advanced degree in Library or Computer Science
- Experience with a NoSQL DB such as MongoDB
- Experience working with and committing to Open Source Software projects
NOTE: This is a two year term position with the possiblity of renewal.
Please see the posting on Princeton's HR site (search Requisition number 1400075) to apply.
The final candidate will be required to successfully pass a background check.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, February 8, 2014 18:48 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC