Linux System Administrator
Created: February 5, 2014
BC Libraries Cooperative Vancouver0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe BC Libraries Cooperative (http://bc.libraries.coop/) is a non-profit, member-driven cooperative providing shared services to libraries in the Province of British Columbia and increasingly across Canada. The Cooperative is home to Sitka (http://bc.libraries.coop/products-services/sitka/)- a group of libraries using the award-winning open-source Evergreen software (http://evergreen-ils.org/) as its shared Integrated Library System (ILS). In addition, the Cooperative supports a number of new and emerging library services, including a national initiative to provide accessible library materials (http://nnels.ca), a hosting service for library website content management (http://bc.libraries.coop/products-services/libpress/) and a cloud storage solution. Across these services, the Co-op is dedicated to using open source tools and contemporary development methodologies and hosting practices.
The BC Libraries Cooperative is hiring a half-time (18 hours/week | 3 x 6 hours) Linux System Administrator under a fixed-term contract (term negotiable) that may lead to a regular employment position. As a member of a dedicated technical and support team, this position will be responsible for the maintenance and improvement of the Cooperative’s technical infrastructure. Must be willing and available for on-call (after hours) rotation and some weekend work for maintenance. Must understand a team’s obligations in providing 24×7 support.
Residency in Vancouver, British Columbia is required for start date. Compensation is negotiable, depending on qualifications and experience.
The position requires the following core skills:
- minimum of two years experience with Linux system administration using an enterprise-level distribution, Ubuntu Server or Debian preferred.
- experience managing server hardware
- experience managing data backups
- experience writing documentation and communicating technical information clearly and concisely
- experience managing Apache
- familiarity with RDBMS (PostgreSQL preferred)
Experience with the following would be an asset:
- Experience with Perl programming and Bash scripting
- experience working in or with library organizations
- participation in open source projects
- experience with virtualization systems
- experience with distributed object storage systems (e.g. CEPH)
Competencies and qualifications:
- ability to communicate technical information clearly and concisely
- ability to manage stress
- a sense of humour
- appreciation of baked goods or reasonable facsimiles; the ability to make these will be considered an asset.
- ability to work in a distributed environment (team members do not all work in one location)
- Bachelor of Computing Science, Engineering or Physics or significant coursework towards same; an equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
Candidates must clearly indicate how they meet the position requirements. Qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format to office at bc.libraries.coop no later than February 14, 2014.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC