Government Information Librarian
Created: January 26, 2014
Columbia University New York City0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe Columbia University Libraries invites nominations and applications for the position of Government Information Librarian. The Libraries seek an energetic, knowledgeable and technologically adept professional to support research, instruction and training, and active outreach for faculty and students in support of federal, state, local, foreign, and international government information, and social sciences resources, including data sources. The position oversees the Libraries' federal depository collection in all formats; maintains and updates item selection; liaises with GPO; updates MARCIVE records profile; and evaluates, selects, and recommends databases for purchase in the areas of government information and international affairs. The incumbent will develop and maintain government information services webpages, the Lehman Library blog, and other social media for communicating programs and services to the schools and departments directly served by the Lehman Social Science Library and the University community at large. The Government Information Librarian will engage technologies emerging as critical to research and teaching, including those supporting data-intensive research. The position will collaborate with colleagues from across the Columbia University Libraries, including the Digital Social Science Center, the Center for Digital Research and Scholarship, and the Center for New Media Teaching and Learning to support the evolution and enhancement of innovative library services and technology initiatives. This position will report to the Director of the Social Sciences Libraries Division.
One of the world's leading research universities, Columbia provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a unique intellectual community. Set in the Morningside Heights academic village, Columbia also presents the unmatched dynamism, diversity and cultural richness of New York City. The University Libraries, grounded in collections of remarkable depth and breadth, are also building extensive electronic resources and services. The Libraries at Columbia are committed to collegiality, professionalism, innovation and leadership.
We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and excellent benefits.
Minimum Degree Required: MLS or PhD or equivalent
Minimum Qualifications: All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the position. The successful candidate will have:
- An accredited MLS or an advanced degree in the social sciences or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated public service orientation and knowledge of user needs for teaching, learning, and research
- Demonstrated experience with US federal government documents, social sciences and international relations resources, including data sources
- Ability to work independently with varied user groups in a complex organization and function collaboratively in a rapidly changing team environment
- Excellent analytical, organizational, oral and written communications, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in webpage creation, and demonstrated ability to communicate/publish for the web/social media
- Demonstrated experience working with statistical datasets and the ability to effectively communicate with faculty, students and staff about textural, numerical and spatial data resources
- Demonstrated experience using quantitative research tools such as ArcGIS, Stata or R
- Knowledgeable in the issues surrounding scholarly communications and data management planning
- Demonstrated experience using qualitative research tools such as NVivio or Atlas.ti
- Experience in identifying and evaluating software applications
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC