DescriptionClemson University Library seeks an innovative and motivated professional to work with a team of vibrant library faculty to envision and implement the library’s E-Science initiatives and serve as faculty liaison for the new institutional repository. Reporting to the head of the Reference Unit, the E-Science librarian will provide research assistance, instruction, collection management, and outreach services for students, faculty, and staff in the physical and biological sciences. This is a 12-month tenure-track position with faculty rank and status. Clemson library faculty participate in library-wide planning and governance, work in a shared decision making environment, and are active in professional organizations.
- Plans and implements the library’s role in E-Science.
- Provides needs assessment, outreach, and training for the library’s institutional repository.
- Provides general reference as well as in-depth research assistance in science disciplines (may include evening and occasional weekend work times).
- Engages in extensive outreach and liaison services to students, faculty, and staff.
- Responsible for collection development/management in physical & biological sciences.
- Teaches course-related instruction sessions for classes in subject areas and participates in other instructional activities, including graduate student bootcamp, creating online tutorials, and developing innovative means for delivering other research services.
- Develops web & print tools to help students, faculty, and staff effectively use physical & biological science resources.
- ALA-accredited MLS degree or equivalent.
- Experience providing research services in the sciences, or a bachelor’s degree in a physical or biological science discipline.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Instruction or teaching experience.
- Knowledgeable about physical & biological sciences resources and services.
- Motivated and inspired to reach out to faculty and students and create innovative library services.
- Experience with some aspect of E-Science support.
- Evidence of, or potential for, professional and/or scholarly activity.
Location: Clemson University is a major, land-grant, science and engineering-oriented research university in a college-town setting along a dynamic Southeastern corridor. Ranked as one of America’s Top Universities by U.S. News & World Report, Clemson is an inclusive, student-centered community characterized by high academic standards, a culture of collaboration, school spirit, and a competitive drive to excel. Centrally located in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, Clemson is located in one of the fastest-growing areas of SC, and a short two-hour drive to major destination cities in Charlotte and Atlanta. The upstate SC region provides a highly desirable quality of life setting in which to pursue professional goals.
Application process: Submit a letter of interest directly addressing the requirements for the position; personal résumé; names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references electronically as a single attachment in Word or PDF format to Suzanne Rook Schilf, Chair, E-Science Librarian Search Committee, email@example.com. Applications received by August 5, 2012 will be guaranteed consideration.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 01:35 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC