DescriptionNYU Abu Dhabi invites applications for a Librarian for Archival Management and Preservation to work in an innovative, dynamic, and forward-looking setting. The incumbent will help manage acquisitions, care and access to NYUAD’s nascent archival collections and launch collecting processes for historical records of the University. The position involves significant collaborative work with library colleagues at NYUAD and NYU in New York, and across its global sites, as well as with faculty and students in those locations. The position contributes to providing information and research assistance to the gifted faculty, post-doctoral researchers, and student body of NYU Abu Dhabi, often called the “world’s honors college.”
As part of a highly collaborative team, this position plays a key role in the educational mission of NYU Abu Dhabi by establishing strong relationships with faculty and students, and connecting them to the resources and tools that meet their research, teaching and learning needs. As the initial incumbent of the position working in a new library at a young institution, the position will help shape the management, preservation, and access procedures for the University’s growing collections of rare and unique documents, media of all types, and digital objects. A commitment to outreach and service to researchers will be essential to this work alongside development of forward-looking procedures for archival management. Depending on the incumbent’s academic background, liaison responsibilities with academic departments may be assigned and service at the library’s reference desk will be routine.
Reporting to the Library Director, this position will arrange for the intake of new collections to the library, which may include field work such as surveying, packing and transporting materials; provide appropriate organization, housing, and access for collections of paper documents and multi-media, including digital objects, analog photographs, and ephemera; arrange archival records in accordance with accepted archival standards; publish EAD encoded finding aids on the web in accordance with NYU best practices; supervise support staff assistants; work with the University Archivist, Digital Archivist, and other specialists in New York to launch NYUAD’s archive of historical materials related to the establishment and history of NYUAD; and oversee the Special Collections facility in the new NYUAD library on Saadiyat Island.
The work location is the Abu Dhabi campus on Saadiyat Island. Living and working in the United Arab Emirates presents an exciting and excellent professional environment, coupled with an abundance of cultural, educational, recreational and travel opportunities.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent with a concentration in archival studies
- Relevant experience in a special collections unit or archive of a research library
- High degree of facility with technologies and systems germane to the 21st century library
- Demonstrated proficiency in archival theory and practice
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use and application of DACS, EAD, MARC, LCSH, LCNA, AACR2 and other library and archival descriptive and content standards; familiarity with XML schema and the use of XML editors and the manipulation of metadata across systems and platforms
- Hands-on experience using Archivist’s Toolkit
- Knowledge of rights administration and management issues for archival collections
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent English language communication skills
- Ability to establish positive long-distance working relationships with NYU Libraries in New York and to work collegially within a highly collaborative local unit
- Demonstrated history of flexibility, creativity, and strong customer service commitment
- Academic background in a field of the arts or humanities resulting in an advanced degree
- Knowledge of best practices in preservation and conservation as they apply to archival collections, including media
- Demonstrated effectiveness in library instruction
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment
- Prior international experience
- Competence in a language other than English
New York University has established itself as a Global Network University, a multi-site, organically connected network encompassing key global cities and idea capitals. The network has three foundational degree-granting campuses: New York, Abu Dhabi, and Shanghai, complemented by a network of over 15 research and study-away sites across five continents. Faculty and students will circulate within this global network in pursuit of common research interests and the promotion of cross-cultural and interdisciplinary solutions for problems, both local and global.
Entering its fourth year, NYU Abu Dhabi has recruited a cohort of faculty who are at once distinguished in their research and teaching. Our students are drawn from around the world and surpass all traditional recruitment benchmarks, both US and global. NYU Abu Dhabi’s highly selective liberal arts enterprise is complemented by an institute for advanced research, sponsoring cutting-edge projects across the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences, and Engineering.
NYU Abu Dhabi is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC