DescriptionDrexel University Libraries is a dynamic, matrixed organization focused on transformation to create scholarly connections, effective library learning environments and access to authoritative information. The Libraries, comprised of four physical locations and a virtual presence, seeks a Director, Informatics for Research Engagement to provide leadership in developing library services that support Drexel’s vision to be the Philadelphia region’s leading university excelling in high-quality experiential education, online learning, translational research, technology transfer and business incubation, and urban revitalization.
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries and working with librarians, system developers, researchers and faculty across campus, the Director is responsible for evolving and implementing a university-wide approach to data management and curation of digital content and leading the Libraries' staff and partnerships to provide service support for preservation and access to the University's research data, digital content, records and archives. The Director will be involved in the integration of data literacy competencies with the Libraries' instructional programs and will lead development of services that apply research and system designs for effective data curation for the Libraries' partnership with others on campus.
- Completed graduate degree, with emphasis in Library or Information Sciences, informatics, digital archival studies, computing, or data management; Ph.D. strongly preferred
- Minimum of four years administrative or management experience, including demonstrated success in supervision and technology management
- Demonstrated capabilities in computing, data management and analysis, and effective consultation with researchers to provide informatics solutions and support
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art tools and systems for assembly, alignment and analysis of data, in multiple formats [e.g. textual, visual, and audio] and ability to select and implement appropriate solutions for an institutional repository;
- Successful experience working with diverse teams across disciplines with excellent communication, coordination, and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Highly motivated with strong problem solving skills and capable of working both independently and in multifunctional team settings
- Indication of professional commitment through service, presentation, or research
- Professional experience working in an academic library or research information organization
- Experience with large-scale data management or data visualization
- Success in designing an innovative program and leading organizational change to adopt it
- Experience working in a collaborative matrixed organization
- Successful teaching experience, including course development and online delivery
The Director provides administrative leadership and coordination for effective systems, efficient workflow procedures for data and information preservation and organization, policies on rights and usage issues, and maintaining user-centric institutional repositories, regardless of format. The incumbent provides administrative leadership for the Libraries' programs of archival curation, digital content management, and research application and system design; as well as supervision for the program managers of the University Archives, Libraries' Institutional Repository and Discovery Systems. The Director provides leadership for the campus federated Digital@Drexel coalition of digital collection owners that work collaboratively to provide central access to these University's unique artifacts of research and teaching.
The incumbent works collaboratively with the Libraries' Directors for Service & Quality Improvement, Academic Partnerships, and Administrative Services, and as a member of the Libraries Strategic Leadership Group to ensure effective and efficient operations of the Libraries. The Director is expected to be professionally active through services, presentation, publications or research.
Supplemental Posting Information:
Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com and search for Director, Informatics for Research Engagement. The requisition number is 5813.
For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC