DescriptionKnown for its leadership in distance learning and its mission to serve, J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University (ECU) seeks a creative, forward-thinking, experienced, and user-focused individual to fill the position of Assistant Director for Library Technology. The individual in this position will be the primary technology architect and planner for the Library. The individual will have direct supervisory responsibility for three areas: Application Services and Design, Discovery Services, and IT Operations.
Responsibilities: The Assistant Director for Library Technology reports to the Dean of Academic Library and Learning Resources and serves on the senior management team. The Assistant Director will contribute to strategic planning, program development and evaluation, and allocation of resources in support of the Library’s mission. The individual will coordinate activities and set priorities for the three reporting areas; develop and promote a cohesive vision for the Library’s online identity; represent the Library on information technology groups on the ECU campus, within the University of North Carolina system, and externally; establish and maintain effective partnerships and collaborations; maintain professional knowledge of trends in libraries and higher education and a strategic awareness of the role of technology in libraries; and ensure that the Library is at the forefront of best practices in delivering services.
Finalists will be asked to make a brief presentation during the on-campus interview.
- Advanced degree in an information technology-related field or ALA-accredited master’s degree or international equivalent in library or information science.
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible management experience in an academic, cultural or research institution.
- Experience with at least one of the areas for which the individual will have supervisory responsibility.
- Experience providing leadership, supervision and direction to a team of IT professionals.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong commitment to user-centered services and service excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate technical communication among a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of key issues and trends in digital initiatives and information technology, academic libraries, and higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to create an environment conducive to innovation and creativity.
- Demonstrated skill in building and sustaining effective interpersonal relations with professional colleagues.
- Demonstrated flexibility and initiative.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Academic library experience.
- Knowledge of web technologies and design; computer and server operating systems; programming and scripting languages; library technology and metadata standards.
- Experience managing an ILS, a content management system, or other discovery systems; securing outside funding for technology initiatives; and delivering resources and services to distance education students.
- Additional advanced degree in a relevant field.
- Familiarity with current trends in scholarly communication and publishing.
ALS recognizes that diversity and respect for human differences within the academy is a key source of intellectual vitality and innovative spirit, and encourages genuine respect for individual backgrounds, lifestyles, experiences, perspectives and opinions. ALS invites candidates from diverse backgrounds who will contribute affirmatively and creatively to the university's multicultural environment. We seek candidates who reflect the rich mix of backgrounds, life experiences, cultures, perspectives and world views found within our university and community.
Located in Greenville, North Carolina, ECU enrolls over 27,000 students. It is a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina and offers 104 bachelor’s degree programs, 73 master’s degree programs and 38 certificate programs. In addition, it offers 18 doctoral programs (Ph.D., Ed.D.).
The campus is located approximately 80 miles east of Raleigh, and 80 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean. Additional information about ECU is available at http://www.ecu.edu. ECU is a leader in the state in distance learning initiatives and holds Doctoral/Research Universities status as defined by The Carnegie Foundation.
Rank, Salary and Benefits: The initial appointment is a one-year fixed term faculty contract, with the potential for a multi-year contract renewal. Minimum salary of $70,000, with a comprehensive fringe benefits package. Subsequent contract renewal is subject to university hiring guidelines.
Assistant Director for Library Technology
Ms. Mary Sweatte, Library Personnel Administrator
2400 Joyner Library, Mail Stop 516
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Official transcripts for required degrees must be received prior to any offer of employment. Proper documentation of identity and employability are required at the time of employment. A criminal background report will be completed on the chosen candidate. East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action University that accommodates individuals with disabilities. Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) should contact the Department for Disability Support Services at (252) 737-1016 (Voice/TTY).
Academic Library Services is dedicated to sustaining a diverse workforce and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:47 UTC