DescriptionThe Metadata Coordinator provides leadership in evaluation and application of current and emerging metadata standards. S/he expands use of non-MARC metadata schemas for content description and access, collaborating with others on local and regional digital projects as appropriate. In addition, the Metadata Coordinator provides training or technical advice to library staff regarding resource description and metadata assignment. This position serves as a primary resource person for the library on metadata practice, provides significant input on relevant policies and procedures.
- Master's Degree
- ALA-accredited master of library science degree
- Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.
- Experience Required 2 years
- Related experience specializing in metadata or cataloging with some successful project management experience.
- Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.
- License/Certification Required
Other Skills Required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Project management skills.
- Proven ability to solve problems.
- Leadership and training skills and an ability to reach consensus with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to recommend solutions in areas not under direct supervision.
- Flexibility in performing different tasks as library needs change.
- Commitment to enhancing services through teamwork.
- Ability to prioritize work to ensure that departmental and library goals are realized.
- Demonstrated commitment to staff development and continuing education.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Thorough knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata standards and practices (e.g. Dublin Core, EAD, TEI, MODS, METS, OAI, etc.) and demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging metadata practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of institution repositories platforms, preferably DSpace.
- Knowledge of bibliographic utilities, preferably OCLC, and vendor services.
- Knowledge of integrated library systems, preferably Sirsi.
Experience Preferred Experience as a librarian in an academic library.
Other Skills Preferred Familiarity with DSpace.
(e.g. Weekend/evening work, travel, inclement weather, hazards) Office environment.
Salary Information Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications, minimum of $52,000.
Benefits Eligible Benefits Eligible
Job Posting Category Professional/Managerial
Eligible for Overtime No
Work Schedule Monday through Friday; 40 hours a week with a flexible schedule approved by hiring manager.
Eligible for Shift Differential Not Shift Differential Eligible
Security Sensitive Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants A list of three references to include names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses must be attached under 'Other Document'
NOTE: Applications received by February 11, 2014 will receive first consideration.
Inquiries: Melinda Reagor Flannery @ 713-348-3773 or email@example.com
How to apply
Published: Friday, December 20, 2013 20:34 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC