Digital Collections Librarian
Bryn Mawr College — Bryn Mawr
0 other recent jobs
Created: November 20, 2013
DescriptionThe Digital Collections Librarian is responsible for coordinating the creation and maintenance of digital collections and databases that draw upon the holdings of the Special Collections Department, and for working with faculty, students, and staff in the development of digital collections, including the preservation of born-digital records which document the history of the College. The Digital Collections Librarian is based in the Special Collections Department, and is responsible for managing the collections of historical photographs and for participating in patron services and other regular business of the department. The Digital Collections Specialist will also work closely with colleagues throughout the Information Services Department, and with colleagues within the TriColleges (Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges).
In cooperation with other members of the Special Collections, Visual Resources, and other departments within Information Services, coordinate the development, implementation and maintenance of digital projects drawing upon the College’s Special Collections holdings, including The Albert M. Greenfield Digital Center for the History of Women’s Education.
Manage the databases and websites for Special Collections, including EmbARK Collections Manager, CONTENTdm, Archivists’ Toolkit/ArchivesSpace, and Omeka, and coordinate the development and implementation of standards for data and images across the digital collections.
Participate in the planning and implementation of digital projects at Bryn Mawr and within the Tri-College Libraries, including training faculty, staff and students in the use of digital collection technologies and processes, and partnering with faculty in using digital resources in their research and teaching activities.
- Participate in the development of online exhibitions, finding aids and other digital publications.
- Work with both computing and library staff at Bryn Mawr and throughout the TriColleges in support of digital projects.
- In collaboration with the College Archivist and other administrative staff, develop plan for the preservation of born-digital historical records of the College.
- Catalog and manage the historical photograph and ephemera collections, including providing reference services for students, faculty, staff, and outside researchers interested in using these collections.
- Share responsibility with other Special Collections staff for monitoring the public reading room, and assisting researchers using the collections.
- Participate in the hiring, training, and supervising of student workers.
EDUCATION AND ABILITIES:
REQUIRED: Master’s degree from a Library/Information Science program or Museum Studies program, or Master’s degree in a relevant subject area with extensive experience working with cultural collections and experience working with collection management software, databases, and digital collections. Knowledge of metadata and encoding standards, strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people are essential.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 14:19 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC