DescriptionThe Glenn Hubert Library at Florida International University seeks a knowledgeable, innovative, collaborative individual for the position of User Engagement Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Information & Research Services, Hubert Library, the User Engagement Librarian will be responsible for coordinating the Libraries’ user experience efforts, for both the online and physical library environments on both campuses. This new position will work to develop relationships with the Libraries’ various user communities, and utilize information gathered from these relationships to identify and prioritize the users’ needs as they pertain to the Libraries. Working collaboratively, the incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of programming, activities, and projects designed to improve the overall user experience of the Libraries. This position will be a member of the Information & Research Services department and have reference, instruction, liaison, and collection development responsibilities. Some evenings and weekends may be required. Participates in local, regional and national organizations as appropriate. As a library faculty member, the User Engagement Librarian is expected to participate in professional development, research, and service activities in order to meet the Libraries’ and University’s requirements for promotion.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Anticipate and keep colleagues abreast of library user needs, preference and trends, including trends related to user-centered design, digital library interface capabilities, website enhancement, and usability in libraries.
- Design and conduct qualitative and quantitative user needs/usability studies utilizing various methods (including, but not limited to online surveys, card sorting, interviews, focus groups, and observations) to assess user needs, preferences and trends.
- Collaborate with the Emerging Technologies Librarian, the Web Services Librarian, the Libraries’ Website Team, and any other entities involved in user assessment activities to analyze the Libraries’ web presence and provide input for user-centered enhancements and user assessment processes.
- Create and coordinate library advisory groups representing the various library stakeholders.
- Utilize user input to collaborate on and contribute to the creation, development and implementation of innovative projects and services available through the FIU Libraries’ websites, content management systems and digital repositories.
- Stay abreast of trends related to user-centered design, the development of digital library interface capabilities, website enhancement, and usability in libraries.
- Participates in providing information services including reference, library instruction, and serving as a liaison to an assigned disciplinary area.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats and to diverse audiences.
- Minimum of two (2) years demonstrated experience with creating and implementing user assessment tools and conducting user experience and/or usability studies.
- Demonstrated experience in addressing usability issues, ADA compliancy and with user-centered design in libraries, educational institutions, or other knowledge-based organization.
- Knowledge of and experience with current and emerging web development technologies as they relate to digital library services and the user experience of all library patron types.
- Experience providing reference and instruction services.
- Project coordination experience
- Experience working in an academic library.
- Experience with library statistics collection and analysis.
How to apply
Published: Friday, November 15, 2013 02:54 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC