DescriptionFlorida State University Libraries
Data Research Librarian
Assistant/Associate University Librarian
Rank based on candidate’s qualifications
Florida State University Libraries seeks an energetic and innovative librarian to facilitate access to and use of data collections and to provide services to data users, focusing initially on the social sciences. The Data Research Librarian will be responsible for developing and providing consultative, instructional, and outreach services to faculty and students using data and for selecting data resources. This position will work closely with the government documents Librarian, technology staff, and subject librarians to develop a complementary suite of data collections and services.
* Provide specialized consultations, instruction, and outreach to support the use of data resources by faculty and students.
* Identify, locate, select, acquire, and provide access to data resources.
* Create LibGuides, Web pages or other materials to provide information about and access to data sources.
* Market the use of data services to faculty and students.
* Develop professional development opportunities and support program for liaison librarians to enable effective data consultation services.
* Work with liaison librarians to identify and provide access to acquired data sets that serve the university's research and teaching missions.
* Contribute to the development of research data management services.
* Work collaboratively with technology staff and the Scholarly Communication Librarian to develop a campus-wide program to assist faculty in managing, preserving, and providing access to data.
* Serve as a liaison to Economics, Geography, and Statistics Departments.
* Participate in general in-person and virtual reference and instructional services.
* Master’s degree in library and information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association or other relevant master’s degree.
* Experience working with data sets and knowledge of research practices relating to data.
* Experience with using statistical software (SPSS, Stata, SAS).
* Demonstrated subject knowledge and experience in social sciences, including understanding of issues related to social sciences research, scholarly publishing, and data research.
* Familiarity with data management requirements of federal agencies and of national and international trends in data management.
* Demonstrated experience in supervising staff and coordinating workflows.
* Strong grasp of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
* Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective programs, complex projects, and services.
* Creative and analytical thinking skills and good problem solving ability.
* Excellent communication skills. * Ability to work independently and as a member of a group in a changing environment.
* Ability to meet the library’s requirement for scholarship, service, and leadership.
* Minimum of two years professional experience in an academic or research library.
* Experience writing, obtaining, and managing grants.
* Experience developing data management plans.
* A second advanced degree, preferably in a data-oriented social science field.
* Experience with text mining or analysis.
* Experience with institutional or subject repository systems.
* Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
This is a full-time, 12-month non-tenured faculty appointment. Benefits include 22 days vacation, 13 days sick leave, group medical, dental, and life insurance, an optional retirement program or state retirement, and no state or local income tax. With supervisor’s approval, may qualify for University tuition scholarship for up to six credit hours each semester. A full listing of benefits can be found at http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/SummaryofBenefits76.pdf
Located in beautiful Tallahassee, Florida’s capital city, a growing community with a population of more than 357,000, the Florida State University, a public, coeducational institution of the 11-member State University System of Florida, has an enrollment of over 40,000 students. The Library system includes ten libraries. Campus libraries have combined volume holdings totaling over 3 million volumes. The Library is
a member of ARL, ASERL, CRL, OCLC, and Lyrasis. For more information about the Florida State University Libraries, see our home page at: http://www.lib.fsu.edu/
SALARY: Minimum base salary is $45,000. Offer commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Staff Services Specialist
Florida State University Libraries
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2047
How To Apply :
If qualified and interested in the position as advertised, please apply through the Florida State University job site at https://jobs.fsu.edu. (Job ID #36264)
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. In one attachment, please include a cover letter with a complete statement of qualifications, a full resume of education and relevant experience, and the names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications for this position. Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action Employer
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC