DescriptionScience and creating knowledge are what CERN does, sharing what we discover is what we aim to do. This is why CERN is so actively involved in the Open Data movement and Digital Library developments. The Collaboration & Information Services team is looking for a new member who shares our passion for the Open Source movement and with expertise in service management to help build innovative tools to share the discoveries of the largest scientific experiment in the world. Take Part!
Job Reference: IT-CIS-DLS-2013-163-LD
Publication date: 18/10/2013
Closing date: 17/11/2013
You will join:
The Information Technology Department which provides the technology required for the fulfillment of the laboratory's mission in an efficient and effective manner through building world-class competencies in the technical analysis, design, procurement, implementation, operation and support of computing infrastructure and services. See http://cern.ch/it-dep/
The CIS Group responsible for collaboration and information systems including video conferencing, webcast, Indico, ePublishing and Digital Library Services (DLS).
Software Engineer in the Information Technology Department (IT), Collaboration and Information Services Group (CIS), Digital Library Services Section (DLS).
As an IT staff member, you will contribute to the quality of the services related to the management of documents at CERN. This will involve:
Driving the e-Publishing service, analysing, designing and supervising the implementation of dedicated software for the reports published by CERN. In collaboration with the CERN central publisher, deliver tools to facilitate electronic publishing and integrate them into the CERN Document Server (CDS), including:
- Automation of the document workflows;
- Authoring systems for the editors of reports;
- Processes to run quality checking and document validation;
- Generation of PDFx for print on demand services.
- Support, maintain and develop solutions for owners of collections within the CDS platform, to answer needs relative to document, multimedia & bulletin management and archival needs coming from all sectors of CERN.
- Adapt and maintain the underlying technology of the services, developing and integrating new features into the Invenio code-base, acting as a reviewer for selected Invenio modules, ensuring continuous integration of validated code and migrating CDS to the latest versions of the software.
- Collaborate closely with users, clients, and service partners, to enhance existing connections between CDS and internal and external services; ensure rapid adoption of CERN guidelines and an optimal use of CERN IT infrastructure; promote CDS & Invenio outside of CERN.
- Contribute to the section management by reporting section activities whenever needed, attending managerial meetings occasionally, and supervising projects run by temporary members.
Master's degree in the field of computing or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
Extensive experience in software development, preferably with expertise in the LAMP stack. Demonstrated experience with:
- Digital repository software especially Invenio.
- Document and/or Multimedia management.
- User and service support.
- Team work and collaborations, preferably within an international environment.
- Leading computing projects and supervising programmers.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Database/repository design: mysql, postgresql, oracle.
- Programming/software development: python, c/c++ / git, trac.
- Systems ergonomics: ajax, jquery.
- Testing: unittest, selenium, mechanize.
- Usability requirements analysis: design of user interfaces, especially web based.
- Software development process improvement: continuous integration (jenkins), scrum.
The behavioural competencies you will need to demonstrate for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Setting direction: setting clear, challenging and attainable objectives; defining and communicating performance indicators; Providing information, instructions and priorities related to set objectives; acknowledging potential obstacles; Promoting innovative thinking and the circulation of ideas and information within own team and across departments.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues; Working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; Successfully changing other people's opinions by persuasive arguments; Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
The language competencies required are:
- English or French: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports, and/or to make oral presentations. The ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 17/11/2013.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may be granted an indefinite contract.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC