A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
NPR is looking for a talented, forward-thinking librarian to join our award-winning team of knowledge managers, product owners, researchers, and digital thinkers. The successful candidate will work in a hybrid setting that blends traditional information skill areas (information evaluation, presentation, indexing, taxonomy, content management, reference interview) with the digital demands of a cutting edge media organization.
We are looking for a professional who:
- Is approachable and focused on creating partnerships – builds rapport easily.
- Is comfortable taking an active and visible role representing the Library team to diverse constituencies.
- Has a passion for metadata and how to leverage it.
- Is curious and flexible.
- Is a collaborator at heart, who can work with a minimum of supervision.
- Takes initiative to make things better.
Essential Duties Include:
- Cultivates productive relationships with users from across the organization, resulting in improvements to Library products and services. Example business partners include News, Digital Media, Communications, Development, Diversity, and Ombudsman.
- Represents Library team in a variety of settings from product management activities to delivering research on deadline.
- Expert in the power of metadata. Creates original metadata and dynamic custom reports in response to business needs. Applies best practices in content management.
- Expert in selection, retrieval, and presentation of information via a variety of platforms. Is user-focused and allows client need to drive outcomes.
- Develops and leads regular training sessions. Is comfortable leading tours and speaking to larger groups.
- Contributes ideas to improve Library products and services.
Education: Master’s Degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Experience working on a team to improve a product or process.
- Ability to switch gears as organizational priorities shift.
- Ability to translate feedback from stakeholders into actions that deliver value.
- Digitally engaged – consume information on a variety of platforms; comfortable in a continually “digitally disrupted” environment.
- Demonstrated success in prioritizing among multiple competing assignments or projects.
- Ability to work as a member of a team where part or all of the team is virtual.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
- Ability to think journalistically.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, over the phone and by other virtual means, to internal and external constituencies.
- Experience creating metadata in a non-MARC setting.
- Experience facilitating reference interactions and delivering information on demand.
- Familiarity with basic taxonomy and basic database principles.
- Experience working with a digital preservation repository
- Sound judgment and discretion when evaluating information; demonstrates sensitivity to context and privacy.
- Conduct consistent with applicable NPR ethical guidelines.
- Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
- Passion for current events and popular culture.
- Familiarity with the programming languages of the web (PHP, CSS, HTML5).
- Familiarity with information dissemination platforms, content management systems.
- Marketing savvy. Successful experience leading a marketing campaign.
- Familiarity with digital audio file formats and preservation challenges.
- Experience curating, managing, or migrating digital collections.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keep up with us on Social Media on: Facebook at This Is NPR, Twitter at @NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.
Published: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 14:08 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC