Librarian - Digital Repository / Archivist / Special Collections
Created: September 29, 2013
California State University, Long Beach Long Beach0 other recent jobs
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited program and institution by the date of appointment.
- Demonstrated post-MLS experience working with digital archives, digital repositories, and/or Special Collections in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of archival theory and practice and technological applications related to digital repositories, archives, special collections, and records management.
- Working knowledge of metadata description tools (EAD, MODS, METS, XML/XSL and other data structure standards) relevant to the archival control of digital collection materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices as well as emerging trends for digital repositories, digital archives, and records management.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication skills, and project management skills.
- Commitment to and/or expertise in educating and serving a diverse student population.
- Additional graduate degree OR certificate in Archival Studies, OR an Archival/Special Collections emphasis in an MLIS program.
- Experience working collaboratively with college/university faculty, staff, and students.
- Working knowledge / hands on experience with digital repository programs (i.e. DSpace, bepress, ContentPro, etc).
- Strong technical skills: format validation and conversion methods; data integrity techniques and technologies; long term storage planning; and digital asset management systems.
- Working knowledge of intellectual property and copyright issues related to digital repositories, archives and special collections use.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching library resources in a reference environment and/or classroom setting.
- Ability to evaluate, select, and review information resources in relation to curricular and collection needs.
- Familiarity with preservation theory and current research and practices regarding risks to digital collections, such as technological changes, natural disasters, interoperability of software, and security issues.
- A record of involvement in library and/or archivist professional organizations.
- Oversee and manage the University’s digital institutional repository, Scholarship @ the Beach (S@tB).
- Oversee the University Library’s Special Collections and Archives unit.
- Oversee and manage the digitization of several archival collections.
- Collaborate with library Technical Services staff and Academic Technology staff to make the digitized collections available via the library’s web portal.
- Provide reference and consultation services to the student, faculty, and visiting scholar patrons; conduct library instruction for classes by interpreting and helping students to appreciate the unique and rare resources.
- Assume responsibility for outreach and the marketing of S@B, Special Collections/Archives services to the campus and outside constituents.
- Work closely with subject librarians and other members of the University community as appropriate.
- Serve a rotation at the central reference desk approximately 6 hours per week including some nights and weekends.
- Engage in library and university governance and scholarship, including research and publication required for tenure and promotion.
- Oversee the work of staff and student assistants assigned to S@B, Special Collections/Archives.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC