Created: September 27, 2013
University of Maryland, College Park College Park0 other recent jobs
DescriptionTitle: IT Systems Analyst
Category: Exempt Staff
Department: Digital Systems and Stewardship
Salary: High 50’s to Low 70’s
Benefits: 22 Days Annual Leave, 15 Days Sick Leave, 3 Days Personal Leave, 15 Paid Holidays, Tuition Remission, Health, Dental, Vision and Prescription coverage
As the largest university library system in the Washington D.C.-Baltimore area, the University of Maryland Libraries serve 37,000 students and faculty of the flagship College Park campus. The University of Maryland Libraries share the teaching, learning and research goals of the university. Its role as a key academic resource is evident in its service to the academic community and its actionable strategic plan.
As a member of the User Services and System Administrator (USSA) team in the Digital Systems and Stewardship division the successful candidate will participate in administration of a large computing environment consisting of hundreds of virtual machines backed by a Storage Area Network supporting hundreds of terabytes of storage. The environment also includes several thousand public and staff workstations, mobile devices, printers and other peripheral devices. The candidate will continuously analyze and improve existing systems as well as research and advise on new technologies.
- Serve as the primary systems administrator for Linux servers and services.
- Work closely with the Manager of USSA team to assist in daily functional operations of the department.
- Provide 2nd level help desk and field support in our mixed Windows/Mac environment.
- Advise, inform and train users on computer system operating procedures and policies. Answer questions and give information about well-defined areas, some of which may require limited interpretation of policy.
- Participate in library committee work; and Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 4 years experience or minimum HS diploma or equivalent plus 6 years of professional IT experience in a higher education environment.
- Must have strong background with Linux for example RHEL 5.x, 6.x, Centos and other Linux distribution, and core products/components (patching, boot from SAN, multipathing, etc).
- IT systems management experience; and Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Good communication skills (written, oral and listening).
- Strong multi-tasking skills. Must have ability to work independently as well as be a team player.
- Technical knowledge of SAN/NAS infrastructure.
- Hands-on SA experience in LINUX, security and system hardening, and systems integration.
- Experience with hardware and software administration to client workstations, servers, storage systems and peripherals.
APPLICATIONS: Electronic applications required. Please apply online at https://ejobs.umd.edu, click staff. Local candidates are encouraged to apply; no relocation assistance will be provided. The University of Maryland Libraries will not sponsor individuals for employment. You must be legally able to work in the United States. An application consists of a cover letter which includes the source of advertisement, a resume and names/e-mail addresses of three references. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and accepted until October 11, 2013.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, political affiliation, or gender identity and expression. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC