DescriptionThe Associate Archivist manages the digital assets of the University Archives and Special Collections department according to professional best practices. The position facilitates the transfer of permanent records to the archives and coordinates digitization projects. Manages the preservation of American University (AU) and Special Collections digital assets. Supervises and evaluates personnel, and provides reference service. Makes recommendations on policies and procedures regarding digital assets to ensure adherence to appropriate standards. The position requires minimal supervision after initial training.
A Master’s degree in Library or Archival Science from an ALA accredited program is required.
- Minimum of 5 years archives or special collections experience in an academic, research or special library
- Experience with digitization on demand and digitization projects is required, including familiarity with a variety of standards such as Dublin Core, METS, MARC, etc
- Must have well-developed research skills and excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and to set and manage priorities essential
- Project management skills and customer service experience
- Familiarity with managing digital assets, outreach, and acquisitions
- Knowledge of federal and state copyright and privacy regulations
- Ability to work with a number of different information formats such as books, manuscripts, electronic records, audio-visual materials, and foreign language materials essential
- Intermediate to advanced level computer skills
- Familiarity with Windows based programs including database and spreadsheet software packages
- Must be able to lift items up to 50 pounds and retrieve materials from shelves that are 7 feet high
- 2 years of supervisory experience
- Experience with metadata standards
- Experience planning, coordinating, and implementing effective programs, and services, ensuring that objectives are met within time, budget, and quality targets
- Experience managing digital assets
- Experience and previous success in expanding a user base or collections
Library technology is an evolving infrastructure with many collaborators and opportunities for synergy. This position will have an opportunity to influence the development and implementation of the library’s digital asset strategy.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff, and student body. The American University campus is tobacco and smoke free.
How to apply
Published: Monday, September 16, 2013 18:42 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:44 UTC