The University of Miami is one of the nation’s leading research universities in a community of extraordinary diversity and international vitality. The University is privately supported, non-sectarian institution, located in Coral Gables, Florida, on a 260-acre subtropical campus. The University comprises 11 degree granting schools and colleges, including Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Music, Nursing, and Marine and Atmospheric Science (www.miami.edu).
The University of Miami Libraries (www.library.miami.edu) rank among the top 50 research libraries in North America with a collection of over 3.3 million volumes and 76,869 current serials titles, including 72,942 electronic journals. The Otto G. Richter Library lies in the center of the Coral Gables campus and serves as the central library for the University. Other University of Miami libraries include the Paul Buisson Architecture Library, the Judi Prokop Newman Business Information Resource Center, the Marta & Austin Weeks Music Library, and the Marine and Atmospheric Science Library. The University also has independent medical and law libraries. The Libraries provide support and services for approximately 10,370 undergraduates, 5,259 graduate students, and 13,058 full and part time faculty and staff. Excluding the independent libraries, the University Libraries employ 56 professional and 90 support staff and are a member of ARL, ASERL, CLIR, NERL, RLG, and Lyrasis.
Reporting to Head of Cataloging & Metadata Services, the Metadata Librarian works collaboratively with the other Metadata librarian and colleagues in CMS, Digital Scholarship & Programs, and special collections to support the discovery of and access to the Libraries’ digital content through metadata creation, analysis, enrichment, and maintenance according to local and national cataloging and metadata standards. ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates, reviews, and edits metadata for digital collections and assists in the development and application of metadata crosswalks and data conversion routines; trains & revises library faculty, staff, and/or interns in the application of metadata
- Participates in the development, evaluation, and implementation of metadata policies, standards, goals, procedures, and workflows in cooperation with Digital Scholarship & Programs and necessary stakeholders; Oversees quality control for non-MARC metadata processes and projects as assigned.
- Collaborates in the selection, design, and adaptation of metadata schema, controlled vocabularies, and data dictionaries
- Participates in the evaluation of the effectiveness of catalog data and metadata for resource discovery.
- Assists in other departmental training initiatives by developing training material or providing instruction to library staff as needed
- May perform original and copy cataloging and assist with catalog database maintenance activities as needed
- Remains current with metadata and cataloging standards and digital library development; Participates in library professional associations and other appropriate venues for professional development
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Networks, collaborates and actively participates in local, regional, national, or international organizations regarding related issues.
- Represents and promotes the University of Miami Libraries in local, state-wide, regional, national, or international organizations as appropriate.
- Serves on Cataloging Policy Board and participates in Libraries and University organizations.
- ALA accredited graduate degree in Library and Information Science
- Knowledge and experience with metadata and cataloging standards and schema, such as Dublin Core, MODS, AACR2, RDA, LCSH, AAT, LC Classification
- Awareness of current issues and trends in metadata and digital library development
- Aptitude for complex, analytical work with attention to detail, demonstrated problem-solving skills, and flexibility
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively prioritizing work to ensure that departmental and library goals are realized
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment; a demonstrated commitment to user-centered library service and the ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet the University of Miami Libraries’ criteria for advancement and promotion of library faculty, through professional development and service accomplishments
- Experience using CONTENTdm or other digital management system(s)
- One year of experience in a medium to large research library or similar organization
- Reading knowledge of Spanish
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a non-tenure track faculty appointment at the Librarian Assistant Professor rank. The position offers a comprehensive benefits package including: TIAA-CREF; medical and dental insurance; life, disability, and long-term care insurance available; tuition remission; 13 paid holidays; and 22 days annual vacation. Additional employment benefits available include credit union; Employee Assistance Program; bookstore, and sporting event discounts; optional fee-based membership in a state-of-the-art wellness center, and no state or local income taxes. More information on benefits can be found at: http://www.miami.edu/benefits/pdf/bensum-faculty06.pdf.
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS:
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications and nominations will be accepted until a suitable candidate is selected. Applications should be submitted electronically and must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and the names of three references. The references will not be contacted before the appropriate time. Send nominations and applications to:
Marylen Exposito, Human Resources Manager
Otto G. Richter Library
University of Miami
P.O. Box 248214
Coral Gables, FL 33124-0320
- Job Type:
- Job URL:
- Page Views:
- Marylen Exposito