Junior PHP Developer
Center for History and New Media, George Mason University
The Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media is looking for a junior PHP developer (contract, preferably onsite) to join our innovative and energetic team in working on Omeka, omeka.org, our FOSS Zend-based content management system and web publishing platform for cultural heritage materials. You can see the code at https://github.com/omeka/Omeka.
- Proficiency in PHP (1-2 experience years)
- Strong Object-Oriented programming skills
- Familiarity with the MVC design pattern
- Familiarity with Zend Framework
- Excellent communication skills with others at all levels of programming skill
- Ability to balance competing needs and priorities in designing code
- Creativity in problem-solving, and openness to experimenting with unfamiliar approaches
- Experience working on open source software projects
- Familiarity with HTML5, CSS3, and graphic design principles
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and other cloud services
- Experience with github
- Experience with PHPUnit testing framework
- Background or experience in the Humanities
With guidance from our Lead Developer and Omeka Dev Team Manager, and in collaboration with other developers and members of CHNM, the new team member will work primarily on various aspects of our Omeka content management system.
- Resolve issues in the core Omeka core
- Develop and maintain Omeka plugins and themes
- Build and customize new sites with Omeka
- Help to design and implement future versions of the core Omeka codebase Contribute to other ad-hoc projects within the CHNM ecosystem.
CHNM is the leading producer of open source tools for humanists and of award-winning history content on the Web (for example: Zotero, Omeka, teachinghistory.org and the Bracero History Archive). Each year CHNM’s many project Web sites receive over 16 million visitors, and over a million people rely on its digital tools to teach, learn and conduct research. CHNM is located at George Mason University, which is 15 miles from Washington DC, and is accessible by public transportation.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing materials immediately and will close the position on March 15.
- Job Type:
- Job URL:
- Page Views:
- Sharon M. Leon