Heads up! it looks like this job post is more than 60 days old and is likely no longer active. We keep jobs around for historical purposes. Hopefully that's not confusing!Job Posting # 2013-18 Job Type: Union Full-time
Hour: 35 hours per week on average Number of opening:1
Salary: $58,450 to $65,676 per annum Grade: 6C
Posting Date: April 15, 2013 Closing Date: April 22, 2013 by 4:30 p.m.
Applications are now being received for the above position in the Administration Centre with Markham Public Library.
Vision for the Position
The Systems Librarian provides support for the library’s IT systems, particularly the Symphony ILS. He/she works with MPL’s Virtual Services team, public and technical services, and administration to determine the system’s IT requirements and liaises with the City of Markham’s IT department to ensure that the system’s IT infrastructure is maintained appropriately. He/she is responsible for the library’s API programming and for maintaining other technology solutions. He/she supports customers with advanced troubleshooting and liaises with IT to resolve related issues impacting customer service delivery.
The Systems Librarian is capable of advanced problem-solving and creative thinking. He/she has a solid understanding of the library’s technology requirements, both internally and as a service provider to customers. The Systems Librarian is adept at managing competing, urgent priorities and can effectively work towards service improvement solutions.
1. Provides troubleshooting for ILS related system and technical issues. This includes SirsiDynix Symphony, BiblioCommons, Online Database Federated Search Interface, eBook Services, data networks and access authentication management.
2. Performs system back-ups. Monitors system performance and takes action to resolve problems.
Technical Support and Implementation
3. Participates in evaluating and testing new software and hardware, IT applications, and implementing new IT projects.
4. Assists with the implementation of service improvement initiatives through the system.
5. Serves as the automation coordinator for various library projects. Develops, implements, maintains and revises policies and procedures related to library systems.
6. Provides internal support to MPL staff on issues related to systems and IT software/hardware. Provides assistance on an ad hoc basis through internal reporting processes, and provides structured support as required through formal and informal training and instruction to staff.
7. Develops Application Programming Interface (API) code to customize and enhance the performance and functionality of the library’s Symphony ILS. Works with library staff to determine customizations based on customer needs and process improvements.
8. Participates in committee work, both internally and externally as it relates to their role at MPL.
9. Assists in other departments, including Service Delivery, as required.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. An ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science. Background education in computer science including software engineering/information systems, is strongly preferred.
2. A minimum 3 years experience in Integrated Library System administration and maintenance
3. Knowledge of scripting languages necessary to SirsiDynix and other library software (e.g. Perl, C/C++, Oracle, Java, Python, PHP, etc)
4. Experience with relational database queries and presentations in Windows Server 2003 and UNIX environments.
5. Experience troubleshooting computer software, hardware, network and browser problems is preferred.
6. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects concurrently.
7. Demonstrated ability to work independently or in a team environment in a lead or participatory role.
8. Effective communication skills, including the ability to communicate with staff with a wide range of technical abilities.
Serves Internal Customers Effectively
Ensures Attention to Detail
Builds Knowledge and Competence
Manages Multiple Priorities
Please note that Markham Public Library is open 7 days per week, and regular weekend work is required. Employees hired after December 20, 2004 have a work week that extends from Monday to Sundays.
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
Markham Public Library
6031 Highway 7
Fax# (905) 471-6015
Please quote the job posting # 2013-18 on the subject line when applying by email.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Type:
- Job URL:
- Page Views:
- Lois Burkholder