Metadata Librarian job posting
NYU Langone Medical Center
New York University School of Medicine NYU HEALTH SCIENCES LIBRARIES 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
The Ehrman Medical Library, of New York University Medical Center, invites applicants for the position of Metadata Librarian. The Metadata Librarian will join the Library's Collection Services Department in the cataloging of the print and electronic resources of the NYU Health Sciences Libraries at the NYU School of Medicine, College of Dentistry and Nursing, Bellevue Hospital and the Hospital for Joint Diseases as well as the library's three consumer health branches. In addition, the Metadata Librarian will serve as a resource expert on the creation and use of metadata for a wide variety of digital projects within NYU Medical Center.
The Metadata Librarian is responsible for the selection, creation and application of appropriate metadata for the library's bibliographic and digital project databases through working in a highly integrated team-based environment. This is a tenure track position with matrix reporting in a team environment.
1. Supervises electronic and print cataloging processes and procedures for the Ehrman library and its affiliates using the library's Innovative Interfaces ILS . Guides cataloging and processing team members through training, establishing priorities and organization of the workflow . In concert with the library's I- team (III implementation) establishes policies and procedures for cataloging. Is an ex officio member of the I-team. . Resolves cataloging questions and does original cataloging as needed
2. Ensures quality of bibliographic and digital databases through compliance with national and local standards such as the MARC record, OCLC, NLM and LC cataloging practices and other appropriate metadata standards. Performs original and complex copy cataloging for all formats.
3. Participates with other members of the library staff in the development of standards, policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely maintenance of catalog and digital records in a highly technologized environment. Stays abreast of new developments and brings them to consideration in the management and organization of library projects and teams.
4. Participates in library digital projects, especially through application of expertise in MeSH, UMLS and other appropriate vocabularies, as well as emerging national standards for metatagging bibliographic and other knowledge objects.
6. Keeps abreast of developments in electronic publishing, networking and indexing to design methods for including off-site access to electronic documents in library's OPAC, including images, full text, etc.
7. Provides leadership in the area of metadata management within the NYUMC envrionment through participation in joint projects, membership on committees and presentations.
8. As part of the library faculty team, participates in library's educational programs and works on the Information Desk as needed.
Essential qualities: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable in a team environment, flexible and open to change, initiative, highly organized and able to complete projects in a timely manner.
Experience and Skills: Must have accredited masters degree in library or information science, knowledge of cataloging practice in an integrated library system, preferably in a medical environment. Knowledge of MARC, UMLS, XML, Dublin Core and other metadata standards highly desirable. Good comfort level with bibliographic technology, database design and digital repository requirements.
New York University Medical Center is located in mid-Manhattan and is affiliated with Bellevue Hospital, the Manhattan VA, and the Hospital for Joint Disease.
Salary will begin at $50,000 and is negotiable depending on experience. Screening will begin upon receipt of applications and the position will remain open until filled.
Please send applications and letter to: Ms. Terry Serra Assistant to the Director Ehrman Medical Library 550 First Ave. New York, NY 10016 Serrat01@med.nyu.edu Ph 212 263-5394 Fx 212 263-6534
- Job Type:
- Page Views:
- Jason Casden